S185 Tilt plate bolts-bushings

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

rumrunner

One of my tilt plate bolts fell out today.. Where the tilt plate attaches to the lift arm. I put the unit in the shop and checked it out, compared it to the other side. It would appear that there is some sort of bushing in the tilt plate assembly that the bolts threads into. This is missing on the side that the bolt fell out of. What do I need to repair this or how do I re-bush the tilt plate bolt housing ? I did a search for some sort of parts diagram but no joy. Anyone?? What do I need to do? Thanks

Bobcatdan

The bobtach has a bushing in it. The bolt threads into the pin. I normally use a piece of ready rod to pull the pin threw into the arm to be able to get the bolt started. If it fell out, the pin is junk. The way it is designed, the pin wedges into the arm and does not turn, the bobtach rotates around it. Most likely, the boom arm needs to reamed and new pin. You can put it back together as is, but the bolt will never stay tight.

OP
OP
R

rumrunner

The bobtach has a bushing in it. The bolt threads into the pin. I normally use a piece of ready rod to pull the pin threw into the arm to be able to get the bolt started. If it fell out, the pin is junk. The way it is designed, the pin wedges into the arm and does not turn, the bobtach rotates around it. Most likely, the boom arm needs to reamed and new pin. You can put it back together as is, but the bolt will never stay tight.
Ok..so this "pin" that you pull into the lift arm - how do you do that? I guess what I would like to do is take the entire plate off of the lift arm so I can see what is going on. But as you say there is a pin that is holding the good side in place-do I just tap that pin back with a smaller size drift pin? What holds the pin into the housing? As it is right now, I can't get the bolt to catch any threads in the housing. I would like to take the whole thing apart so that I can change the grease cap seals as well.

OP
OP
R

rumrunner

Ok..so this "pin" that you pull into the lift arm - how do you do that? I guess what I would like to do is take the entire plate off of the lift arm so I can see what is going on. But as you say there is a pin that is holding the good side in place-do I just tap that pin back with a smaller size drift pin? What holds the pin into the housing? As it is right now, I can't get the bolt to catch any threads in the housing. I would like to take the whole thing apart so that I can change the grease cap seals as well.
Is the bushing-with the pin and threads pressed into the attachment plate housing? How is it held in there? Other than the grease nipple there are no bolts or anything that I can see to hold anything in place. Or is the housing machined with threads?

Tazza

Staff member
Is the bushing-with the pin and threads pressed into the attachment plate housing? How is it held in there? Other than the grease nipple there are no bolts or anything that I can see to hold anything in place. Or is the housing machined with threads?
If i understand what you mean, you are trying to get the lower pivot pins out to get the bobtach off?
They are a taper fit into the lift arms. Remove the grease nipples then wind the bolts back a few turns then strike with a soft hammer, it should shock the pin out of it's seat. They are tapers so they lock in without turning. Un-do the big bolt and push it in as far as you can, grease will probably squirt out the grease nipple hole. The lower tilt ram pivot pins need to come out to. The bobtach should come off.
There will be a bushing where the pivot pins run in the bobtach, if they are worn, replace them when you replace your pins. Ensure all the grease is removed from the taper of the pin and in the lift arm before you put it back together. Dan has a great way to get the pins back into the taper of the lift arms, i do the same. Tighten up the bolts before greasing it, you want the surfaces dry to create a good connection that will not allow the pin to rotate.

OP
OP
R

rumrunner

If i understand what you mean, you are trying to get the lower pivot pins out to get the bobtach off?
They are a taper fit into the lift arms. Remove the grease nipples then wind the bolts back a few turns then strike with a soft hammer, it should shock the pin out of it's seat. They are tapers so they lock in without turning. Un-do the big bolt and push it in as far as you can, grease will probably squirt out the grease nipple hole. The lower tilt ram pivot pins need to come out to. The bobtach should come off.
There will be a bushing where the pivot pins run in the bobtach, if they are worn, replace them when you replace your pins. Ensure all the grease is removed from the taper of the pin and in the lift arm before you put it back together. Dan has a great way to get the pins back into the taper of the lift arms, i do the same. Tighten up the bolts before greasing it, you want the surfaces dry to create a good connection that will not allow the pin to rotate.
TAZZA- and Bobcatdan- Thank you I have the unit all apart, the left side is good, real tight fit on the pin and the bushing. The right side is a different story, the bushing is cracked and the pin has at least a 1/32nd of play in it. The next question is how do you get the bushing out of the housing on the attachment plate? it would appear it is pressed in. Does it need to be cut out with a torch? I defiantly need to change the one side and I am thinking I might as well do both now that i have it apart. Any idea on what pins and bushing cost? Thanks to all for your input... Oh yea I also found this .. it too was of great value in taking the unit apart. http://www.skidsteerforum.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=54&frmView=ShowPost&PostID=51834#51998

Tazza

Staff member
TAZZA- and Bobcatdan- Thank you I have the unit all apart, the left side is good, real tight fit on the pin and the bushing. The right side is a different story, the bushing is cracked and the pin has at least a 1/32nd of play in it. The next question is how do you get the bushing out of the housing on the attachment plate? it would appear it is pressed in. Does it need to be cut out with a torch? I defiantly need to change the one side and I am thinking I might as well do both now that i have it apart. Any idea on what pins and bushing cost? Thanks to all for your input... Oh yea I also found this .. it too was of great value in taking the unit apart. http://www.skidsteerforum.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=54&frmView=ShowPost&PostID=51834#51998
Personally, i weld a rod to the bushing and pull it out with a slide hammer.

Bobcatdan

Thanks to all.. It is all back together..new bushings pins and seals. Like a new machine.
Do the taperd pins fit tight in the boom arms? If not it will only loosen up again. I ream the boom arms true when ever I do pins and bushings.

OP
OP
R

rumrunner

Do the taperd pins fit tight in the boom arms? If not it will only loosen up again. I ream the boom arms true when ever I do pins and bushings.
One side was very tight, the other side had a tad of movement. Does one have to get a hone with the correct angle to do that?

Bobcatdan

One side was very tight, the other side had a tad of movement. Does one have to get a hone with the correct angle to do that?
We have them at work (bobcat dealer). They are a special tool, I don't know where to source them outside of bobcat, I'd like to get a set for personal use.

KarlB

We have them at work (bobcat dealer). They are a special tool, I don't know where to source them outside of bobcat, I'd like to get a set for personal use.
1.5" taper ball joint reamer. Visit a good auto supply place or amazon.com. ...karl

KarlB

1.5" taper ball joint reamer. Visit a good auto supply place or amazon.com. ...karl
Reference: http://www.skidsteerforum.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=54&frmView=ShowPost&PostID=57492 Credit goes to MaxW and OldMachinist.

Latest posts