S185 only has one speed?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

lanceh5

This is a 2004 S185 with low hours but was used to load manure and is very rusty. I have had this machine for a couple of weeks now and it will not shift into high speed. There is a switch on the right steering lever for the high/low speed function. I do not know where the solenoid is located to shift from one speed to the other. This could be an electrical issue but not sure where to start.

Tazza

Staff member
The switch may be there, but not all models have this feature installed. My S150 has the switch, but it's not two speed.
As you sure it has this feature installed? did it ever work?

lanceh55

The switch may be there, but not all models have this feature installed. My S150 has the switch, but it's not two speed.
As you sure it has this feature installed? did it ever work?
Tazza thanks for the reply. The Bobcat was advertised as having two speeds and the Bobcat info I have seen on the internet indicates two speed? I am still looking at the electrical diagram to figure this out. I don't drive this long distances often just a couple of blocks down the street once or twice a year. Would it be possible to change speeds while moving?

Tazza

Staff member
Tazza thanks for the reply. The Bobcat was advertised as having two speeds and the Bobcat info I have seen on the internet indicates two speed? I am still looking at the electrical diagram to figure this out. I don't drive this long distances often just a couple of blocks down the street once or twice a year. Would it be possible to change speeds while moving?
I think you can change speed while moving. From what i have read, the drive motors have say 8 pistons, when in normal speed it uses all 8 to give the power. When in hi speed mode, it cuts off 4 of them, so the same amount of oil goes to the motor, but to half as many pistons that means it turns at twice the speed, but half the power.
With that said, i would assume that the drive motor would have extra hoses going to it. Have a look to see if it has more than two large and one small hose hooked up to it.

Tazza

Staff member
I think you can change speed while moving. From what i have read, the drive motors have say 8 pistons, when in normal speed it uses all 8 to give the power. When in hi speed mode, it cuts off 4 of them, so the same amount of oil goes to the motor, but to half as many pistons that means it turns at twice the speed, but half the power.
With that said, i would assume that the drive motor would have extra hoses going to it. Have a look to see if it has more than two large and one small hose hooked up to it.
Here is a 2 speed motor, see if it looks the same or not.
http://www.loaderpartssource.com/bo...skid-steer-drive-motor-2-speed-hydraulic.html

Bobcatdan

Here is a 2 speed motor, see if it looks the same or not.
http://www.loaderpartssource.com/bobcat-parts/bobcat-hydraulic-motors/reman-bobcat-s185-skid-steer-drive-motor-2-speed-hydraulic.html
All models have a 2 speed and high flow buttons even if they don't have the option. For starters, is the unit badged with 2 speed decals. Second does the 2 speed light come on when you push the switch? If I remember correctly, the 2 speed block should be mounted to the chain case under the cab. If there was an electrical problem, the 2 speed light should be blinking. The coil could have fallen off the stem that controls oil flow to shift 2 speed. The stem could be stuck and not shifting. All of this said, I'm kinda doubting you have a 2 speed just because 2 speed was a very rare option on the medium frame machines up until a few years ago.

Latest posts