Has anyone welded on tie downs?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

jcurcio

I have a Bobcat 763 and haul it in a dump trailer. I have welded on D-Rings on the floor from the factory and typically cross chain from the D-rings to the center anchor points on the Bobcat. However, the ones in the front of the trailer are a nightmare to get to. I also don't trust the D-Rings as they are only welded to the 10 gauge floor and even at that, the dump bed is only attached to the trailer's frame at the rear pivots.

What I've been contemplating on doing is welding on new D-rings directly to the frame rails of the trailer which would require me to weld on anchor points to the bobcat. I feel like it would give me far safer anchor points than I currently have and make tying down much easier. I've researched this a ton and can't find anyone that has done this. Please don't just give me the answer of using the factory anchor points. I am a welding instructor and am fairly knowledgeable which is why I don't trust the trailer manufacturers shitty welds with undercut on 10 gauge sheet metal. I'd feel safer running the chains outside the bed directly to the frame. My question is more about the anchors on the bobcat being higher up in order to clear the bed sides. The attached picture is not of my machine and trailer, but similar. Any thoughts on chaining from these locations on the bobcat? Thanks!
Bobcat Trailer.JPG

Tom in Mo.

My first thought is you will pull the sides of the trailer inward when you screw down the binders. The machine can't go anywhere with those sides on. I'd use a single center point ring in front to the bucket and a single center point in rear to keep it from sliding front to back.

foton

I think I would use bolt on 3/8 inch rings on the floor and a blacking plate as large as will fit in that space near the corners of the trailer, I would try to get 4 times the size of the rings base and 1/4 - 5/16 inch plate thickness should do it. and use the factory chain holes on the skid.

wings5j

My take is to go with Foton's idea to be able to stick with the designed Bobcat tie-down points. The other thought I had would be to tie into the four points on the frame in your picture , perhaps with some heavy angle that would extend into each corner of the trailer box. You could still incorporate the reinforcement plate in each corner.

Let us know what you come up with.

AJ-17

I added swivel "D" rings to the skid steer and the trailer 30 years ago. Works for me.

Attachments

• IMG_4147.jpeg
    IMG_4147.jpeg
    894.1 KB · Views: 48

mikelv

Sounds to me like you know what you are doing. I see no problems with welding up some solid anchor points to make it easier to secure. I would really try to avoid putting any on the loader arm though. Just be sure you are careful when welding on or near the fuel and hydraulic reservoirs.

Gearclash

Don't anchor the machine by the arms. Secure primarily by the main frame, and if the DOT is a PITA in your area secure the arms additionally.

Make sure the anchor points of trailer are up to rating of the anchor, otherwise you will rip the anchor off. I have D rings welded directly to the main frame rails of my trailer.

Be aware that in a collision the G forces can be much higher than what the DOT requirements will hold.

Latest posts