Replacing Weld On Cutting Edge

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Frank Y

Can anyone offer any advice, do's or dont's for putting on a new weld on edge? Ive had this material bucket for a while and im tired of the positive angle on the edge and the bucket doesnt sit flat on the ground. Has a definite arch to the edge, so bad that theres a 1" gap in the center between the edge and the ground. Makes grading almost impossible and cleanup on a smooth surface is a joke. I found a cutting edge that will work and just weld some pieces up the sides, but im most concerned about getting the edge square with the machine. Or is that not a big concern? What are the basic steps to doing this and what do I need to watch out for? Thanks for any advice! Frank

bobcat_ron

If you have a buddy with an excavator, you can have him bang on the under side of the bucket to straighten it out, I did that with my Bobcat combo bucket, works damn good.
If not, then look for a WOE that is thick, thicker than you need to it won't flex after it's welded on.
All of my welders use a tiger torch to heat the bucket up to at least 500 degrees celcius and keep it hot as they weld the new edge on, then let it cool slowly and put some hard facing on the corners.

dhardin53

If you have a buddy with an excavator, you can have him bang on the under side of the bucket to straighten it out, I did that with my Bobcat combo bucket, works damn good.
If not, then look for a WOE that is thick, thicker than you need to it won't flex after it's welded on.
All of my welders use a tiger torch to heat the bucket up to at least 500 degrees celcius and keep it hot as they weld the new edge on, then let it cool slowly and put some hard facing on the corners.
I have straightened a bent bucket by placing a 2 or 3" block of steel on the outer ends of the bucket resting on the concrete. Then very carefully backed a dump truck on to the bucket edge. Forcing it down. Its easy to over correct it this way but going slow and just the right heights in spacers and truck weight its passable.

OP
OP
F

Frank Y

I have straightened a bent bucket by placing a 2 or 3" block of steel on the outer ends of the bucket resting on the concrete. Then very carefully backed a dump truck on to the bucket edge. Forcing it down. Its easy to over correct it this way but going slow and just the right heights in spacers and truck weight its passable.
Thanks for the reply guys. I was planning on cutting out the old edge with either a plasma if I can find someone who has one or gouge it out with a torch or grind it out with a cutoff on the grinder. Probably end up being the latter of the 3. Im mainly concerned about getting the new edge welded in straight and not having it warp. Is heating a requirement to keeping it straight? Thanks Frank