Replacing the engine in an LS 120

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

ponyboy123

The old onan(linamar) is plain wore out. All my other gear on the farm runs on Honda 20-24 HP V-twins so it would make sense that I put one in the ols skid steer. Easier said than done. The onan mounts in backwards, with the engine power being taken off of the huge case iron cooling fan, the Honda mounts the opposite. This leaves the exahaust ports facing forward and not much space to get the exhaust turned 180 deg. but I think I can get it. As far as hooking up engine power, the is a primitive love-joy type concetion to connect to the bucket/boom hyd pump mounted on a double pulley to operate the left and right hyd pumps. This may be tough to match up and a trip to the machine shop may be in order. I was wondering if any one has done anything like this or if there is a better/easier replacement motor that could/would work? I may have so trouble hooking up all of the saftey swirches back up but sinse this machine is used by a variaty of different employees on the farm I need to have a saftey switches operating as well. Any help would be greatly apperciated. Thanks......

skidsteer.ca

This may go to the repower forum, but for the time being I'll leave it here in NH.
First off I believe you can get a honda muffler that points either way, or you can fab up your own muffler using what you have now or off the shelf exhaust components.
Have you read through the re power forum? There is a few good reads there now too, just not on your specific model.
Also some photos of the 120 would help us scheme workable solutions for various problems that may come up. Read the FAQ section at the top of the page on posting pictures.
I believe the safety switches sould be the least of your troubles as they are jenerally just a matter of conecting wires. No machine work required there.
Ken

OP
OP
P

ponyboy123

This may go to the repower forum, but for the time being I'll leave it here in NH.
First off I believe you can get a honda muffler that points either way, or you can fab up your own muffler using what you have now or off the shelf exhaust components.
Have you read through the re power forum? There is a few good reads there now too, just not on your specific model.
Also some photos of the 120 would help us scheme workable solutions for various problems that may come up. Read the FAQ section at the top of the page on posting pictures.
I believe the safety switches sould be the least of your troubles as they are jenerally just a matter of conecting wires. No machine work required there.
Ken
I didn't even notice the repower forum. I am on my way there now. Thanks.