Ls 180 shutting down?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

1austin112

Hey all, I got a NH ls180 ( turbo model ) skid steer I picked up fairly cheap. It's been beat hard and seen better days but starts up and runs ok. The main issue I'm having is after about 20-30 minutes of use it'll start a surging idle and drops low and will stall out. I ruled out a fuel cap vent issue but that's about the extent I've messed with so far. If I let it sit for a while it'll take about a minute of cranking before firing up again. Coolant reservoir is milky, oil dipstick and cap show no signs though and clean. Slight blow by but nothing I'd be considered of. Any ideas?

foton

have you checked your filters, in this case mainly fuel. And I would clean out that coolant resv. and top off coolant and keep a eye on it.

OP
OP

1austin112

have you checked your filters, in this case mainly fuel. And I would clean out that coolant resv. and top off coolant and keep an eye on it.
Yeah, air is good. Fuel was replaced before I picked it up. I cleaned out the resv yesterday morning and added new just to be safe

OP
OP

1austin112

the fuel line in the tank is dirty
How would that affect it after 20 minutes of use though? For the first startup it's perfectly fine, once it gets warmed up though it starts the issues. I would assume if it was a dirty line it would have issues the entire time

polishpete

because it works like a vacum your fuel pick up tube and it sucks everything from the tank evenully
cloging the tube once its sits everything lets go free u understand kind of

OP
OP

1austin112

because it works like a vacum your fuel pick up tube and it sucks everything from the tank evenully
cloging the tube once its sits everything lets go free u understand kind of
Yep, I have knowledge in mechanics and rebuilt truck engines before. I've checked everything I knew of, first time working on a skid and an older one at that. I've been assuming it's a fuel related issue just from it looking to me like fuel starvation. I'll pull the whole tank and clean that with the tubes and see

polishpete

that or take a jug fill it with fuel let it run and see if it acts up pretty sure its in the tank

polishpete

I BELIEVE their is a filter in the tank on the fuel line i know bobcats have could be parcially clogged

OP
OP

1austin112

I BELIEVE their is a filter in the tank on the fuel line i know bobcats have could be parcially clogged
My plan is to bypass the tank temporarily with a 5 gallon container with fresh fuel and see how that goes. Check the main filter as well and the pickup tube then go from there

OP
OP

1austin112

yea just put it on top of the machine
Pulled the tube today, no clogs, filled the tank up and it ran fine for about an hour this time then the same issue. Although now it shut off with the boom raised and doesn't wanna crank over. Assuming there's a hydraulic safety on it

foton

Look and see if the machine has a emergency lower valve, it should be in the cab,mine has a red knob that you pull to release fluid back into the tank and lower arms.

OP
OP

1austin112

Look and see if the machine has an emergency lower valve, it should be in the cab,mine has a red knob that you pull to release fluid back into the tank and lower arms.
I just let it sit for an hour and half and got it started for about 5 minutes. Long enough to get it parked before it shut down again. Still chasing that shut down issue though

OP
OP

1austin112

SAME NO CODES u dont smell antifrezze in fuel
No antifreeze in the fuel ( exhaust has slight blue tint which would be burning oil that I already knew about but no antifreeze mixing ). I don't have any lights flashing indicating a code being thrown unless there's another way to view them

polishpete

u put the fuel line straight meaning avoing filters etc from the tank and same issue u
know what it could be sound crazy but battery some machines need a good battery to operate