Renting S175 Help Please Give me your opinions

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Ashkicker

Hello all, I needing help coming up with a rental price on my bobcat s175...........Here's the deal, I let my co-worker rent my bobcat w/ Grapple bucket,Forks ,and Tooth Bucket back in 7/2010 and we never really set a price just said we'd work it out since he wanted to work on things around his yard here and there (i was ok with it because i have another machine and he would store inside his garage when not in use). We had talked maybe coming up with a price based on hours the unit was ran. Well he's done finally 1/2011 and wants to settle up, states he put maybe 25 hours on the machine. Does anybody have any idea on what people get for renting a machine by the hour. I'm a pretty easy going person and i have a hard time coming up with price's to charge my friends IE.. Me making a post on here . Any thoughts or insight would be helpful.

frogfarmer

Actual cost per hour for a machine run 1000hrs a year is $75 or so for a companys operating estimate. $25 per hour run time is probably closer for the real world. If the machine was returned in the same or better condition as it was recieved and the co-worker is a friend it might be wise to waive the cost and hope the favor would be returned in the future. If there is damage or noticable wear I would likely give them a bill for the damages and a fee of $500 with the hope they would go else where in the future. Friends are priceless and sometimes enemies are as well. I have done work for friends for food and fuel for hundreds of hours of machine time.

farmboy55

Actual cost per hour for a machine run 1000hrs a year is $75 or so for a companys operating estimate. $25 per hour run time is probably closer for the real world. If the machine was returned in the same or better condition as it was recieved and the co-worker is a friend it might be wise to waive the cost and hope the favor would be returned in the future. If there is damage or noticable wear I would likely give them a bill for the damages and a fee of $500 with the hope they would go else where in the future. Friends are priceless and sometimes enemies are as well. I have done work for friends for food and fuel for hundreds of hours of machine time.
$500. would be a good deal for both of you.

skidsteer.ca

I just rented a S175.. best price I could find around here (delivered & picked up in CT), works out to roughly $32/hr.
We start at $39 for short term including tracks bucket forks and trailer, min 4 hours meter time, supposed to be in a day, but often if the loaders not booked out we are flexible there.
We drop to $32.50 per meter hour for 6 hours or more, up to 4 days, then $1040 per week with 40 hours use. This is in Canada so our operating costs are higher here. Fuel is extra.
If you in the US and he is a buddy then your not being unreasonable to want 20 or 25 assuming he is taking good care of it and in not working in a high wear application.
Ken

OP
OP
A

Ashkicker

We start at $39 for short term including tracks bucket forks and trailer, min 4 hours meter time, supposed to be in a day, but often if the loaders not booked out we are flexible there.
We drop to $32.50 per meter hour for 6 hours or more, up to 4 days, then $1040 per week with 40 hours use. This is in Canada so our operating costs are higher here. Fuel is extra.
If you in the US and he is a buddy then your not being unreasonable to want 20 or 25 assuming he is taking good care of it and in not working in a high wear application.
Ken
Thanks for all your response's, gave me some insight to whats others are doing. We worked it out, he's had it since august of 2010 and put 30 hours on it during that time at his suggestion we both was happy at a 1000 dollars so that comes out to 33 bucks an engine hour. It's something over the years that friends know it's not a toy and there are cost in maintaining a piece of equipment as such (just rented out my other machine and trencher and was returned with a bad gear pump that had to be replaced), so i try to be fair and well below market when they rent. So thanks again to all this is a very nice forum.

frogfarmer

Thanks for all your response's, gave me some insight to whats others are doing. We worked it out, he's had it since august of 2010 and put 30 hours on it during that time at his suggestion we both was happy at a 1000 dollars so that comes out to 33 bucks an engine hour. It's something over the years that friends know it's not a toy and there are cost in maintaining a piece of equipment as such (just rented out my other machine and trencher and was returned with a bad gear pump that had to be replaced), so i try to be fair and well below market when they rent. So thanks again to all this is a very nice forum.
1000 dollars for 4 months is a great deal and the $33 an hour should cover the general costs of the hourly usage. I would be very careful renting for such low rates as a major repair could eat up a couple hundred hours of use. I know times are slow but I hate to see people driving the reasonable rates in the industry well below sustainable levels. I wont take a machine to a job for less than $65 an hour. Maybe for some that seems high but I have been doing this for years and my numbers are always in the + side of the ledger. Here is something else to consider how much per hour does your auto/equipment/ag dealer charge for their time? If you dont get as much or more per hour for your skills and equipment its hard to survive.

Tazza

Staff member
1000 dollars for 4 months is a great deal and the $33 an hour should cover the general costs of the hourly usage. I would be very careful renting for such low rates as a major repair could eat up a couple hundred hours of use. I know times are slow but I hate to see people driving the reasonable rates in the industry well below sustainable levels. I wont take a machine to a job for less than $65 an hour. Maybe for some that seems high but I have been doing this for years and my numbers are always in the + side of the ledger. Here is something else to consider how much per hour does your auto/equipment/ag dealer charge for their time? If you dont get as much or more per hour for your skills and equipment its hard to survive.
Lending to friends is hard too, you don't want to rip them off and loaning a piece of equipment worth so much just in case it comes back damaged, just as you have experienced. You know if the quick coupler falls into the dirt that you need to clean it, others won't care, its not theirs, they will just plug it back in and as you have experienced, a dead pump.
What's the saying?
Loaning a mate your machinery is like loaning them your mrs, they both come back f'd.