S175 BobTach Replacement

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

ghs57

While I was moving a big dead tree, I noticed something happened to the Bobtach mount. It looked like I bent the lower crossbeam. on further inspection, I discovered that the beam was pretty much rusted through from the inside out. This further confirmed my suspicions that this machine was neglected and left in a wet environment for quite some time before it was sold to me (bucket was rusted through in spots, and the undercarriage was stuffed solid with mud - there is rust there also). I bought it remotely, and despite its low hours for a 2007 model year, it's quite apparent that the seller did not fully disclose the condition, and may have spay painted over the the rust on the main frame. I'd advise any buyer to personally inspect any machine they are considering buying. Unfortunately, you can't rely on the seller's word.

So, I priced the Bobtach with Bobcat, and the OEM part is around $1,800, but currently out of stock. Does anyone have any experience with aftermarket Bobtach units? They are generally a few hundred dollars less. I prefer to go OEM, and do the pins at the same time as I'm sure they are well worn. Plus there are other ware parts that need to be replaced so I'll do those also.

Tazza

Staff member
It depends on how mad the damage is, and how good you are with a welder, you can likely repair it, but depends if it will take more time and effort that it is worth.

Remote buying is risky indeed.

OP
OP
G

ghs57

It depends on how mad the damage is, and how good you are with a welder, you can likely repair it, but depends if it will take more time and effort that it is worth.

Remote buying is risky indeed.
My welding skills are limited, although I do have both a mig and very old crappy Montgomery Ward stick welder. My concern is that there is more rust than metal, and that the bobtach is visibly bent. Attachments do still fit on, although it's harder to lock the levers. I plan on keeping this machine long term, although I wish it had hand controls. That would be the only reason I would consider selling.

Tazza

Staff member
Ok, if it's that far gone, it's not a bad idea replacing the bobtach, then you know it will last.

Latest posts