Replacement switches for handle

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

wateka

None of the control switches on both of my 1993 model 853 handles worked. 1993 was the middle of the technology change in personal computers and skid steers were no different, as the 853 model has both BOSS versions and non-BOSS versions.

I mention this because since neither of my auxiliary hydraulic rocker switches worked, and testing with a regular multimeter produced no continuity (in either direction, for both switches), I mistakenly thought they were PWM (pulse width modulation) switches. They're not, they were just completely broken.

On my non-BOSS 853, they're standard single pole, double throw (SPDT) momentary open switches made by Eaton. See pictures, below. The clue came to me because the parts manual has just one controller listed, but four different handles that work with that controller, 6704454, 6680412, 6680413, and 6680414.

The pictures are of handle 6704454. I used a grinder to open it - I learned after I opened it that there are two screws hidden behind the rocker switch. A Dremel or a torch with a razor blade/small knife would have made a neater cut and easier repair.

An $8 replacement switch I found at DigiKey and also Mouser that I believe would work is made by NKK and is part number MN18TNW01DA (rocker) or MN18TNW01EA (witch's hat). The NKK catalog is attached, below.

I gave up on the replacement idea because for $162 found a new 6680414 on Alibaba.

I only put all this in writing in case you're in the middle of a job and desperate for a solution - two Gardner Bender momentary contact push button switches from Home Depot might put you back in business.

Also, this just dawned on me, the auxiliary control unit 6671669 is just a bunch of miniature relays sealed in epoxy, and that one unit controls both the front and rear auxiliary hydraulics. This is an assumption on my part, since there's only one control unit in my parts manual.

If your think your control unit has died and you do not have rear auxiliary hydraulics, before you condemn it you should (conceptually) be able to rewire your switches to use the unused rear relays in the control unit instead of the broken front relays. That would take some bird dogging with a multimeter, but seems certainly possible.

As I further think about it, if you only need to operate a grapple or an auger, you could (again, conceptually) wire in two 12v automotive relays to recreate that functionality if your control unit is completely dead/missing.

All of the above is assuming you don't have a PWM switch in your handle. 

IMG_4914.jpeg
IMG_4911.jpeg
IMG_4913.jpeg
IMG_4916.jpeg

IMG_4922.jpeg
84C05DFC-670F-46A3-A755-5C3F7C97B41E.jpeg
346FA2F2-6806-4E2A-9320-0CF387B60798.jpeg
IMG_4928.jpeg

Attachments

• NKK rocker switch catalog.pdf
    3.8 MB · Views: 19