parking brake adjustment

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

[email protected]

my 643 creeps. the nut on the brake linkage rod is FUSED on. it will not budge, at all. i bent the linkage trying to get it off. any idea how much the linkage rod is? i'm thinking about using some threaded rod if it is expensive. i'm hoping it is less than 50 bucks. thanks

Fishfiles

I would wire brush theexposed threads of the rod and then heat up the nut with a torch , AeroKroil penetrating oil will help , you should be able to get it broke loose --------you could cut the old rod off at the last thread and weld some threaded rod to it ------ 2nd life = sometimes the nut wouldn't get tight enough for proper adjustment of the brake , if you put a Bobcat lug nut or something about the same size under the adjustment nut then it can be tightened enough for the brake to hold

OP
OP
T

[email protected]

I would wire brush theexposed threads of the rod and then heat up the nut with a torch , AeroKroil penetrating oil will help , you should be able to get it broke loose --------you could cut the old rod off at the last thread and weld some threaded rod to it ------ 2nd life = sometimes the nut wouldn't get tight enough for proper adjustment of the brake , if you put a Bobcat lug nut or something about the same size under the adjustment nut then it can be tightened enough for the brake to hold
i'll do my best. i just don't have a whole lot of spare time these days. almost rather replace the part.

Tazza

Staff member
i'll do my best. i just don't have a whole lot of spare time these days. almost rather replace the part.
I don't know what a new rod would run you, but they are pretty simple to make, i have done it before. Those nuts sure can get well stuck. I had a heck of a time removing them from my 743.....
As you said it creeps, you may need to adjust the neutral too.

OP
OP
T

[email protected]

I don't know what a new rod would run you, but they are pretty simple to make, i have done it before. Those nuts sure can get well stuck. I had a heck of a time removing them from my 743.....
As you said it creeps, you may need to adjust the neutral too.
it really only creeps when on an incline, could it still the the neutral?

OP
OP
T

[email protected]

If it's only on hills it sounds like it will be fine.
Hopefully you can make i get a new bar at a good price.
just went to bobcat and ordered one. 27 bucks. no brainer to me. for anyone else with the issue, its not even worth messing with. its cheaper just to go new. any tips for turning the cam counter clockwise to adjust the brake? once it take it off, i might as well give it a fresh turn.

7LBSSMALLIE

just went to bobcat and ordered one. 27 bucks. no brainer to me. for anyone else with the issue, its not even worth messing with. its cheaper just to go new. any tips for turning the cam counter clockwise to adjust the brake? once it take it off, i might as well give it a fresh turn.
once new rod on. remove bolt from cam put back on so it doesnt drop into case. take a whoreheel and apply upward pressure (use a cheater too) have a helper strike bolt ,i use a old rod about 10 inches and a hammer.this should pop it off.rotate cam countter clock till bottom back off a smidge.put lever back on and will have plenty of adjustment. note you can drive thru this brake. it will not compensate for bad steering. its for hills. and trailering only.

OP
OP
T

[email protected]

once new rod on. remove bolt from cam put back on so it doesnt drop into case. take a whoreheel and apply upward pressure (use a cheater too) have a helper strike bolt ,i use a old rod about 10 inches and a hammer.this should pop it off.rotate cam countter clock till bottom back off a smidge.put lever back on and will have plenty of adjustment. note you can drive thru this brake. it will not compensate for bad steering. its for hills. and trailering only.
well, i fixed it today. the replacement part was shorter than the original, so i have quite a bit more thread to play with now. i can barely get one nut on it now because it bottoms out. i'm curious if this could be the wrong part? also, i got the brake working, put to whole mechanism back together and lowered the cab. i started the machine, and the hydraulics were all messed up. i could raise the arms but i couldn;t lower them. same with the bucket. turns out the aux hydraulics were engaged. does this mean i can't use an auger or anything? once i engage it i can't move the arms? is something wrong here?

OP
OP
T

[email protected]

well, i fixed it today. the replacement part was shorter than the original, so i have quite a bit more thread to play with now. i can barely get one nut on it now because it bottoms out. i'm curious if this could be the wrong part? also, i got the brake working, put to whole mechanism back together and lowered the cab. i started the machine, and the hydraulics were all messed up. i could raise the arms but i couldn;t lower them. same with the bucket. turns out the aux hydraulics were engaged. does this mean i can't use an auger or anything? once i engage it i can't move the arms? is something wrong here?
let me clarify a bit....with the aux hydraulics engaged (nothing attached), i cannot move the arms or bucket. i push bucket down and the arms go up. is this normal? very sporadic.

Tazza

Staff member
let me clarify a bit....with the aux hydraulics engaged (nothing attached), i cannot move the arms or bucket. i push bucket down and the arms go up. is this normal? very sporadic.
I don't know about the rod length, but for the aux hydraulics, it will work fine.
The aux hydraulics do this when they are dead ended. When there is an attachment on them, oil flows and other functions will work too.
I have had an auger and a hoe on my 743 and it did a great job, yours will be fine.

OP
OP
T

[email protected]

I don't know about the rod length, but for the aux hydraulics, it will work fine.
The aux hydraulics do this when they are dead ended. When there is an attachment on them, oil flows and other functions will work too.
I have had an auger and a hoe on my 743 and it did a great job, yours will be fine.
thanks so much, youre the best