How to disengage the parking brake/traction control? 963C

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

rock_rat

I have a new-to-me inop (engine doesn't run) 963C. It was lifted onto my trailer by a wheeled loader, and I'm trying now to remove it from the trailer so I can work on it. Per the manual I have removed the valves from the drive motor assemblies on either side, and did the manual override for the traction control. I connected a porta-power to the traction control box under the cab, and pumped it up to at least 350psi.

With one side lifted off the ground I can get the wheels in the air to rotate ~1/4 turn by hand with significant resistance, then the pressure seems to bleed down and I cant move the wheels anymore. I repump up the porta-power and I can get about another 1/4 turn. I would have expected the wheels to turn freely with the porta power engaged, and I don't know that I'm going to be able to pull it off the trailer like this.

Am I doing something wrong? Do I have the wrong expectation and this behavior is normal? Is something failing internally? Pls help :(

20230818_161529.jpg

Tlawdogg

Not sure on 963c. Under your seat directly in the middle. (Lift the cab up safely) is the locking/parking brake solenoid right there? When I bought my 863 it was "locked". I removed it to load & unload it. I then replaced it with a new one. I will attach pics.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230905_085929_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230905_085929_Gallery.jpg
    735.7 KB · Views: 54
  • Screenshot_20230905_085936_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230905_085936_Gallery.jpg
    585.4 KB · Views: 52
OP
OP
R

rock_rat

With the solenoid removed did your machine roll freely? My FSM has some instructions to bypass the solenoid, which i did, but doing that didnt allow the machine to 'free roll' like i expected.

Tlawdogg

Yes, the Pin was locked in place "E-Brake" on mine. Once I removed the Pin it rolled. Not easy but it did. If you are over-riding it you should hear the loud "Click" of the PIN .

OP
OP
R

rock_rat

Yes, the Pin was locked in place "E-Brake" on mine. Once I removed the Pin it rolled. Not easy but it did. If you are over-riding it you should hear the loud "Click" of the PIN .
When you say it didnt roll "easy", could you push it by hand? Or did you have to pull it with something?

I definitely have a difference between pressure applied with the porta power vs not. With the porta power applied I can spin the wheels a bit, but they feel like they have pressure against them and they get harder and harder to turn. Without the porta power they move a very slight amount and then there is a hard stop, like a physical obstruction it rebounds against.

Starting to think it is doing exactly what its supposed to and i have incorrect assumptions of how it should behave.

Tlawdogg

Yea, my skid steer weighs over 7,000 pounds.no pushing it anywhere..ha haa.
It was Winched with a flatbed tow truck.
I just read a 963 weighs 9000+ pounds? Is that correct?

billyb

The solenoid will release the park brake but it is hydraulic drives so you are trying to force the drive motors to turn against the hydraulic system. Doesn't work so good.

OP
OP
R

rock_rat

The solenoid will release the park brake but it is hydraulic drives so you are trying to force the drive motors to turn against the hydraulic system. Doesn't work so good.
I removed the valve assemblies, I assumed (wrongly I guess?) That would allow the wheels to spin freely. Going to try and pull it off the trailer with a tractor. Fingers crossed.

Chris 8603

Before you go to pulling on it make sure it's ok to just move it with the engine off. I don't know about the 963, but a 743 you have to disengage the parking brake and install bypass valves in the wheel pump part of the hydro pumps or you can destroy the wheel motors and or the pumps. Like I said, that's a 743 I don't know about the 963's. But I would make sure

OP
OP
R

rock_rat

Before you go to pulling on it make sure it's ok to just move it with the engine off. I don't know about the 963, but a 743 you have to disengage the parking brake and install bypass valves in the wheel pump part of the hydro pumps or you can destroy the wheel motors and or the pumps. Like I said, that's a 743 I don't know about the 963's. But I would make sure
Tks for the counsel. Im fortunate to have the FSM, and it detailed steps for making it safe to flat tow. I did have to remove a valve from the wheel motors on both sides, manually override the brake solenoid and then pump pressure into the traction control valve.

I was able to get it off the trailer tonight with no drama, tks to the responses I received here!

20230906_181811.jpg

Latest posts