Optimum snow plow width

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

bahmi

I've got an 800' long dirt driveway. Been plowing it with some heavy iron over the years, a CAT D6, followed later on by selling the 6 and buying a nice D2. Still, it's overkill and when the ground is not frozen, I make a big mess of the driveway. I bought a 753 Bobcat and want to make up a snow plow for it, one that moves to right and left sides hydraulically. Driveway is around 8' wide. I want a plow that just clears the front tires as far as width is concerned while angled. I can make one pass in one direction, and one coming back to clear the entire width. It was suggested I need at least a 8' blade, but today I saw a 6' blade on a Bobcat and it looked just right. I figure 6.5 feet for good measure. Does this suggestion meet with agreement or should I opt for the wider blade?

sp6x6

I would go wide because as the snow season progresses you loose room to push the snow. Then you would have to widen drive with bucket. Plus a wider blade gets it out in the ditch further, with 6' you practically drive at blade edge. I know because I run a 6' blower on my s185. I would go 7' or 8'. With a 6' plus you kind of get suckered to the ditch, not fun being stuck.