853 snow blades

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

What width would be recommended for an 853 please? Considering between 72"-96."
96" is as wide as my driveway is in one spot.

Are the newer attachments the same hook up as the older? What about the hydraulics connectors?

I have a bucket and looking at drilling a hole each end and putting a pad underneath. Any thoughts on doing that and the bucket verses an angling blade?

mrbb

you have to factor in how deep, /wet/ heavy will the the snow be your plowing?
and how far you have to push it, and are you having to push up hill, at all?
larger the blade the more snow it can hold, and weight it will be asked to push! , and then traction can become an issue at some point

to get the best plow size for the task its going to be used for!
if all level and not too wet/heavy and on flat goround I say 8 ft is fine, but add in lots of wet heavy or hills, and smaller will be more efficient IMO!

OP
OP

Thanks mrbb. Yes, I realize it was an open ended question. Mostly just doing my driveway, which is rather long and up hill on part of it, although I push downhill usually. I am leaning towards a 7 foot, as I don't want to over power my tires.

With the price of these things, I may just keep the bucket. It can move a lot of snow. I just want to get pads under it and try those. I can set it most of the time. but would be easier with skid protection.

Phil314

I also have a long driveway with an uphill part and plow with a 7 ft plow.
Traction will always the biggest problem. Even at 7ft you will still overpower regular tires.
Chains will help a lot. However, dedicated snow tires are the best thing I've found so far.

brdgbldr

Keep in mind that when you angle the blade you lose width. You want the blade to always be at least as wide as the tires when fully angled. Otherwise you just end up piling snow into the line of one the tires and not removing the snow in the line of the other.

mrbb

yes 100% agree, you need a blade that is wide enough to clear a path for tires to be in at all times, when fully angled

and also, consider, if your worried about damage to driveway surface, they do make and sell some very good hard rubber.plastic /poly cutting edges that can be bolted on to prevent damage/scratches and such
which could be worth investing in , if you plan to keep a long time

using chains on tires also can damage surface, so, like stated above, adding some good snow tires also can be a benefit if traction becomes an issue('id try things first before getting snow tires)
and another option if you don;'t use skid steer a LOT on hard surfaces past winter, is, you can always MAKE snow tires, or should say make your skid steer tires better, by getting a tire cutter and cutting more edges into your tires you have now, the more edges the better, as its the edges that grab and get you traction, won't add more down force like pure snow tires will, but will gain you some added traction
dis advantage is, they will make the tires wear faster when used on pavement, concrete and likes, not a HUGE amount, but will add some faster wear
tire cutters are not that costly either, and every winter or as needed you can cut new SHARP edges which again are what get you traction, as do snips , you can also cut to help grab on ice! Food for thought!

Last edited:

AJ-17

Just my two cents worth. My T-133 is about the same weight as a 753 and a few years back, I also had a 98" "V" plow blade and realized that it would be much better to make it wider. So I added 18" to each side, not knowing if it would be too wide to push snow. Had to wait almost a year to find out. I had bought some very deep grooved tires many years back and think they work very, very well. As it turned out, having more weight with extra steel and when plowing snow piled 3 to 4 feet high in front of the blade forces down on the front tires to drive the skid steer rather than the rears, like when moving gravel and dirt around. The weight of the plow is right at the capacity of the machine. It can pick up of 1300 pounds. I also can add a second set of tires on my Thomas, which you can not do with a Bobcat, due to the axle length. The Thomas axles are very short and can support having a second tire without bending an axle. As far as I know, I have never seem anyone else ever do the second set of tires. I also have a 84" snow bucket which is the 3rd picture with dual tires.
I love pushing machines to their limits.

Attachments

• IMG_2525.jpeg
    IMG_2525.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 66
  • IMG_2527.jpeg
    IMG_2527.jpeg
    924.2 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_0347.jpeg
    IMG_0347.jpeg
    974.8 KB · Views: 69
OP
OP

Thank you for all the replies and advice. I have the wider tires, which I suspect are not as good in the snow as the stock, thinner ones.

Latest posts