Newbie with some questions.

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

oxford

Hi I am a newbie here and hope to be in the market for a skid steer soon and have a couple of questions. The skid steer I hope can replace our worn out 9n with loader, the plow truck, and the fork truck. My major concern is replacing the forktruck. We use it mostly for lifting pallets of wood pellets(2000lbs) off of the back of the pickup and moving them around. We don't lift much more weight than that(mostly because the forklift is only rated for 2000lbs and I don't think I would trust it for more than that). What size (lifting cap.) machine do I need to be looking for to be able to lift 2000lbs off of the back of say a normal height flat bed tractor trailer. I understand the rated lift vs the tipping weight but do I need a machine that is rated to lift 2000lbs. What is the rule of thump with adding ballast to the back of machines? I am going to also assume that if a machine will lift 2000lbs it will also be capable to push a 6'-7' plow for snow with no problem? Would this be correct. I would also like to keep this purchace in the $10,000 and under range for a decent used machine. Will I be able to get something that isn't all used up and still meet my requirements in that price range. Thanks for your time.

sledesigns

My first Bobcat, M600 had a 1000 rated, 2000 tip capacity. It had the optional factory couple hundred pound ballast too. I pulled 2200 lb loads off of a tall flatbed. It was very tippy. I wouldn't be affraid to push an 8ft box pusher in snow with it though. Pushing an angled blade hard can get you in trouble sideways. I wouldn't expect to ballast something real heavy and expect it to last. Where the center of the load is matters too, a ton next to the mast, or a ton at 24" out on the forks.
With a little safety margin in there I'd consider an older 8 series, 843, 853, 863, 873 with the latter being possibly over the $10k mark. Older 9 series are usually cheaper than the 8's, heavier, bulkier, but have more capacity, great for a farm. 943, 953 & 963's might be a good choice.
Whatever model & capacity, lower hours are something of value. But previous maintenance is the most important.
Great Bobcat specs/capacities page http://www.bobcat.com/historical_specs
Good luck -Scott

OP
OP
O

oxford

My first Bobcat, M600 had a 1000 rated, 2000 tip capacity. It had the optional factory couple hundred pound ballast too. I pulled 2200 lb loads off of a tall flatbed. It was very tippy. I wouldn't be affraid to push an 8ft box pusher in snow with it though. Pushing an angled blade hard can get you in trouble sideways. I wouldn't expect to ballast something real heavy and expect it to last. Where the center of the load is matters too, a ton next to the mast, or a ton at 24" out on the forks.
With a little safety margin in there I'd consider an older 8 series, 843, 853, 863, 873 with the latter being possibly over the $10k mark. Older 9 series are usually cheaper than the 8's, heavier, bulkier, but have more capacity, great for a farm. 943, 953 & 963's might be a good choice.
Whatever model & capacity, lower hours are something of value. But previous maintenance is the most important.
Great Bobcat specs/capacities page http://www.bobcat.com/historical_specs
Good luck -Scott
Thanks. Assuming regular maintance was done, what is considered lower hours?

Tazza

Staff member
Thanks. Assuming regular maintance was done, what is considered lower hours?
2-3000 i'd class as low if it was looked after. The engine should do at least 6,000 before the engine starts to get lazy. But it was not greased or serviced, it could be almost dead with those hours....

frogfarmer

2-3000 i'd class as low if it was looked after. The engine should do at least 6,000 before the engine starts to get lazy. But it was not greased or serviced, it could be almost dead with those hours....
Most of the 7series machines will handle 2000lbs even though they are rated for less. I mention this because the machines rated for 2000lbs are going to be out of your price range in most cases. The 9series machines are far and few between and will be hard to find parts at a decent price. The 8series machines are good units but with a bucket, forks, and a plow most of them are going to be well past $10k. As far as hours go if you dont have the experience to thoroughly inspect a machine I would centainly pay a competent mechanic for his expertise. A doctored machine with a $10k price tag may only be worth $5k to someone who knows better. Also a mechanic may have experience with the different models and options and give good advice for a new purchase.