My lathe....kinda

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

BobMelroe

No idea what kind it is. I'm not sure what year this thing was made, but I think the cavemen chiseled it out of stone(friggin' heavy). But it works and the price was right. I'm boring out the variable pitch sheave for my Bobcat 600 to install on a straight shaft replacement motor. The VF4D has a tapered shaft and it was totally shot. It would cost more to rebuild than to buy a brand new motor. Anyway, took a long time to bore it out as I was limited to a 1/2" boring bar so I couldn't hog a lot of material. Got it done and had to broach the inside for a key. Solution? 3/8" extension with a 3/8" square HSS toolbit(lil' rusty) tapped into the end of it. Locked the spindle on the lathe, and used the carriage to "scrape away" material. Worked like a charm. Again, took awhile, but it worked. Enjoy!
IMG00191.jpg

No the belt isn't twisted, the leather one broke so I used a piece of ratchet strap tied together. Hey, it worked.....
IMG00196.jpg

Looks kinda funky, but it's solid and it works.
IMG00207.jpg

Wha- la!!

Tazza

Staff member
Very nice job! I love my lathe, its a tad newer though :) december 2000
Still amazing what you can get done when you put your mind to it. Never tried broaching with my lathe, i have seen an adaptor that you attach to the tool post, i'll have to make one some time.

OP
OP
B

BobMelroe

Very nice job! I love my lathe, its a tad newer though :) december 2000
Still amazing what you can get done when you put your mind to it. Never tried broaching with my lathe, i have seen an adaptor that you attach to the tool post, i'll have to make one some time.
All it takes it time I guess. That and not being afraid to mess something up. This was actually the first time I used this lathe on an actual project. The toolpost is the old rocker style, so tool width is limited to about 1/2". I haven't updated the toolpost yet, so I just used a small boring bar to bore out the pulley. This thing doesn't even have dials on the handles, so I have to use dial indicators (and frequent measuring) to see how much things are moving......
Don't think I've ever seen a broaching attachment for a lathe. I don't broach very often, think the last time was about 5 years ago. Did basically the same thing, but used a small boring bar on my little lathe to do a 1/8" keyway. Just takes some time and I have to remember to unplug the lathe so I don't accidently try to turn it on.

Tazza

Staff member
All it takes it time I guess. That and not being afraid to mess something up. This was actually the first time I used this lathe on an actual project. The toolpost is the old rocker style, so tool width is limited to about 1/2". I haven't updated the toolpost yet, so I just used a small boring bar to bore out the pulley. This thing doesn't even have dials on the handles, so I have to use dial indicators (and frequent measuring) to see how much things are moving......
Don't think I've ever seen a broaching attachment for a lathe. I don't broach very often, think the last time was about 5 years ago. Did basically the same thing, but used a small boring bar on my little lathe to do a 1/8" keyway. Just takes some time and I have to remember to unplug the lathe so I don't accidently try to turn it on.
Here is the key cutter i saw http://homepage3.nifty.com/amigos/slotter/slotting_tool-e.htm
So simple! but one of those projects you'd love to build, but never get around to doing....

OP
OP
B

BobMelroe

Here is the key cutter i saw http://homepage3.nifty.com/amigos/slotter/slotting_tool-e.htm
So simple! but one of those projects you'd love to build, but never get around to doing....
That's pretty slick. Might just have to make one of those :)

OP
OP
B

BobMelroe

Why not buy a set of broaches and bushings use the lathe to turn out any special bushing needed for it? like the tapers
You have a good idea, but broaches are expensive. Period. If It was something I did on a regular basis, it would be worth the expense, but twice in 5 years hardly warrants the cost. They would just sit on the shelf most of the time. I don't mind fiddle farting around broaching out a hole once in awhile :)