My converted brush hog

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

deaop06

This is some pics of my brush hog converted from a 3 point hitch. Everything is done but the hookup hoses and trying it out. Striped and painted.  photo P1010127.jpg After turning the gear box around and mounting the motor. The angle iron idea is gone.  photo P1010129.jpg Everything bolted down and finished.  photo P1010131.jpg  photo P1010133.jpg Guard I built for the conection.  photo P1010135.jpg  photo P1010136.jpg This is the motor mount I made and the coupling from shaft to motor.  photo P1010130.jpg I bought the attach plate rather than build one. Paid $90 for it and it is 3/8" plate. I installed a cushion valve in the hydraulic line that Surplus Center's recommended. Don't know if needed or not but they are the experts. Got 5' X 7" wide belting from Tractor Supply and mounted it on the skid steer side of the mower to keep stuff from flying back at me. Put new seals in gear box and painted everything up real pretty. If it works this mower will out last me. Will let you know it works out.Ron

Clone

Very nice Ron! I bought a 5'er to do the same thing with so I'm interested in how this combo works for you. What motor and coupling did you end up with?

OP
OP
deaop06

deaop06

Very nice Ron! I bought a 5'er to do the same thing with so I'm interested in how this combo works for you. What motor and coupling did you end up with?
The coupling I had to make. Turned it up and drilled hole for shear bolt. 1 3/8" gear box shaft was smooth. Bored 1" hole for motor and had key way cut in by EDM machine. The motor I got was a Dynamic 9-7079-100 2 bolt mount from Surplus Center. My skid has 14gpm flow with 2000psi and SC matched it up for me. I had to use 45* SAE10 fittings for the motor because a 90* will not screw in as no room for both. I used most of the 3 point steel for the hookup. I have around $730 in it now. The hoses will be $40 and come from Tractor Supply. Good luck. Ron

SkidRoe

Looks really good!! I would love to see a video of this unit in action. Cheers - SR

OP
OP
deaop06

deaop06

Ron, how is this thing working out for you?
I mounted it on skid and it fits good. Haven't tried it yet as I wanted to repair leak in the controller. I needed to change the o-rings on the stems. The book lied. It reads that I can pull the stems with out removing the fuel tank. I looked at it today and won't work. Will wait to do this later because have full tank of fuel. Will let you know when I try the hog out. Ron

OP
OP
deaop06

deaop06

I mounted it on skid and it fits good. Haven't tried it yet as I wanted to repair leak in the controller. I needed to change the o-rings on the stems. The book lied. It reads that I can pull the stems with out removing the fuel tank. I looked at it today and won't work. Will wait to do this later because have full tank of fuel. Will let you know when I try the hog out. Ron
Ok, I hooked everything up and cut some brush. It works very good. We have had so much rain I could not get to the heavy stuff. I think it will handle 2" stuff. It does not shake at all and handles good. When it dries out I will tackle the heavy stuff.

Tazza

Staff member
Ok, I hooked everything up and cut some brush. It works very good. We have had so much rain I could not get to the heavy stuff. I think it will handle 2" stuff. It does not shake at all and handles good. When it dries out I will tackle the heavy stuff.
Excellent news, it may spin just fine, but the test is when you actually start cuttig something with it, glad it's cutting well.
I arranged a hydraulic motor for a guy i sold a machine to years ago, i managed to math RPM to flow, so it spun at the correct speed, but there were just not enough HP to handle heavy grass. He only had about 12GPM, but i still thought it would have been ok for the job.

Latest posts