HELP- can't move bucket on my 279D- meaning of screen symbols??

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

LLM

Yesterday I had to move my 279D track loader (2014 year but new to me-bought used) yesterday, and in very cold weather it started fine. I let it run for a few minutes, lifted the bucket and reversed out of my barn and drove off to use the skidsteer to jump a vehicle that was stranded. It was so cold that the red plastic cover over the positive battery lead was frozen and to get to the battery post I ended up prying off the lead wire to expose the post. then I had to use warm water to free the plastic cover from the lead wire. Then I reattached the + wire to the post. I hooked up the jumper cables and took care of the stranded car. I removed the jumper cables and went to drive away. The engine started fine, but to my surprise the bucket controls were non functional and it is a mess of a problem. I do not know the meaning of the warning lights that showed up in the image below.
PLEASE. what could. be happening and what is the fix?

279D controls-meaning.jpg
279D controls-meaning.jpg

OP
OP
L

LLM

(meaning of warning lights above, please.)

Oops. correction on above. I did not restart the machine and left it running the whole time that I did the jump, of course. when I went to move the running machine, the bucket controls did not work.
A buddy of mine just commented to me that since I disconnected the positive battery wire from the post WITH the machine running (then re-attached the positive wire to the post once the rubber guard was removed) there may have been a higher voltage surge with told the circuit controls that there was a problem, and it shut down the electrical system. His suggestion; with machine off, disconnect the positive battery lead for an hour, then reconnect it and try the start up again to see if the electrical system comes back online.

Please... more suggestions

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

LLM

Thanks for getting back. Here we are on Christmas Eve. Merry Christmas!

Yes, I was frozen and not thinking. It was so cold that I didn't know what would happen if I turned off the machine and tried to restart.
So... the machine was running, I disconnected the positive lead from the battery post, separated the red plastic cover that was frozen to the lead connector, and then reconnected the positive lead to the post. Then I jumped the dead battery on my car, and all seemed well. I went to drive the track loader back to its storage area, and that is when I was not able to move the bucket in any direction. It would drive, but the lowered bucket would have dragged on the ground and caused a mess.
It created some kind of problem and hopefully not a big one. Warning Lights: The yellow exclamation point icon shows next to the battery. The square top circle icon is next to an electrical coil image, and I do not know what that means.
What do you suggest?

Last edited:

brdgbldr

The square with the exclamation point is just a general warning telling the operator that something is wrong.

The round thing with the flat top represents an engine warning. The exclamation means malfunction/failure.

These are both just general warnings saying something is wrong. You need to see if your machine has a way of showing codes. Otherwise you'll have to do a diagnoses until you find the problem.

Wayne440

...the machine was running, I disconnected the positive lead from the battery post...What do you suggest
IF it was my machine, with the machine shut down- (1) remove both battery cables, removing negative first. (2) place a clip lead between the two cables to drain any residual voltage, (3) remove clip lead in an hour or so, reconnect battery-connecting positive first- see what happens.

(I claim no expertise, this is merely "what I would do if this was my machine"- no warranty expressed or implied)

Jim A

I have a 289D and often the safety magnet on door hinge is not close to sensor .Machine will not operate until door closed tight and magnet gap is closed.
You need a CAT ET scanner to scan for codes .
Disconnect battery then reboot check door sensor is closed then try to operate.

Jim A

CAT ET scanner is $$$$
I bought a CanDo for $ 1000 works on CAT and heavy trucks etc.

OP
OP
L

LLM

IF it was my machine, with the machine shut down- (1) remove both battery cables, removing negative first. (2) place a clip lead between the two cables to drain any residual voltage, (3) remove clip lead in an hour or so, reconnect battery-connecting positive first- see what happens.

(I claim no expertise, this is merely "what I would do if this was my machine"- no warranty expressed or implied)
Oh. now I see this answer. Thanks. This gives me more details of how to do the fix - we hope! I'll report back.

OP
OP
L

LLM

I have a 289D and often the safety magnet on door hinge is not close to sensor .Machine will not operate until door closed tight and magnet gap is closed.
Thanks for input.
All good suggestions and thanks for help. I will try these when it warms up again.

OP
OP
L

LLM

Thanks
The square with the exclamation point is just a general warning telling the operator that something is wrong.

The round thing with the flat top represents an engine warning. The exclamation means malfunction/failure.

These are both just general warnings saying something is wrong. You need to see if your machine has a way of showing codes. Otherwise you'll have to do a diagnoses until you find the problem.
thanks for input. Several good fellows responded and I will get to this when it warms up.

Latest posts