Mustang 2044 Hydraulic Problem

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

vinrum

After running the machine for about 10 minutes or so, the Hydraulic system builds so much pressure in it, the fluid starts to leak out of the hose (what I would call the overflow on a radiator)but at the end of the hose is a filter vent..Today I used the machine for a couple of hours and I started to remove the filler cap on the hydraulic tank and fluid start pushing out like a hot radiator,,,I took the filter vent off the hose and cleaned it, but it still is dripping out but not as bad..Any Ideas what my problem is
Thanks

skidsteer.ca

Is the oil foamy? Thinking maybe air ingestion is increasing the volume in the tank?
Something is overfilling it some how.
Ken

OP
OP
V

vinrum

Is the oil foamy? Thinking maybe air ingestion is increasing the volume in the tank?
Something is overfilling it some how.
Ken
No, the fluid wasnt foamy..Is there a relief valve for the hydraulic system?? I was thinking that might not be working..I have to use the machine today for a couple of hours, so I will check it again

Tazza

Staff member
No, the fluid wasnt foamy..Is there a relief valve for the hydraulic system?? I was thinking that might not be working..I have to use the machine today for a couple of hours, so I will check it again
There will be a relief, but the relief will only send fluid back to the tank or inlet side of the pump. There is no way it can cause your oil level to increase without the oil being foamy and dribble out that way.
The relief only limits the pressure that the sistem can get to, if it was stuck closed and you bottomed out a cylinder it would either blow a hose or casue your pump to break. Of it was stuck open, you wouldn't reack the correct pressure, you would notice a lack of lift power.
Could your oil level be too high at all? or working on an angle?

Land-Tech

There will be a relief, but the relief will only send fluid back to the tank or inlet side of the pump. There is no way it can cause your oil level to increase without the oil being foamy and dribble out that way.
The relief only limits the pressure that the sistem can get to, if it was stuck closed and you bottomed out a cylinder it would either blow a hose or casue your pump to break. Of it was stuck open, you wouldn't reack the correct pressure, you would notice a lack of lift power.
The filler cap on mine is like a radiator cap With an over flow hose. The system has always been under pressure. Make sure your cap is not weak. Scott

OP
OP
V

vinrum

I agree what your saying about the foamy fluid..It makes sense, but the fluid coming out of the the filter plug is straight fluid, No foam..As for the fluid that comes out the filler tube, I am a little nervous taking that off and looking..I used a towel today, and the fluid was coming out..The fluid was at its proper level, maybe a little low right now..

OP
OP
V

vinrum

I agree what your saying about the foamy fluid..It makes sense, but the fluid coming out of the the filter plug is straight fluid, No foam..As for the fluid that comes out the filler tube, I am a little nervous taking that off and looking..I used a towel today, and the fluid was coming out..The fluid was at its proper level, maybe a little low right now..
Scott, mine is the same set-up as yours, but would a bad cap cause the fluid to come out of the over flow hose

Land-Tech

Just bleed the pressure off before opening all the way. It tells you this in the manual. the tank is weird in that the last 5 gal.of hydraulic oil will have to be poured in slow or it will burp back on you if the oil goes in too fast

Land-Tech

Just bleed the pressure off before opening all the way. It tells you this in the manual. the tank is weird in that the last 5 gal.of hydraulic oil will have to be poured in slow or it will burp back on you if the oil goes in too fast
Just like a weak radiator cap, it will open at a lower pressure and leak. I've never traced where the over flow goes, never had a problem. It's has pressure to precharge the pumps I think but don't really know for sure.Scott

OP
OP
V

vinrum

Scott, I am kinda lost?? Does the filler cap have a relief in it?? and if it does, that would cause the fluid to come out of the over flow hose..

OP
OP
V

vinrum

Scott, I am kinda lost?? Does the filler cap have a relief in it?? and if it does, that would cause the fluid to come out of the over flow hose..
The over flow is just zip tied to the filler spout,,,and at the end of the hose, it has a plug with screen in it..and thats where all the fluid is pissing from

Tazza

Staff member
The over flow is just zip tied to the filler spout,,,and at the end of the hose, it has a plug with screen in it..and thats where all the fluid is pissing from
It sounds like a real odd setup, the only ones i have ever seen were gravity fed. The cap was vented and there was no pressure in the tnak at all. You learn something new every day!

Land-Tech

It sounds like a real odd setup, the only ones i have ever seen were gravity fed. The cap was vented and there was no pressure in the tnak at all. You learn something new every day!
Ok, I went out and checked the cap and it is a radiator cap. In the middle it says "test or replace when changing coolant" I Know this is the original cap since I have had this machine since it was new."Caution pressure"and "Do not open when hot" are dead givaways and it's suppose to test out at "13 lbs.". I don't know why the overflow is open and does not return to the system.The way the tank is designed it might be like the old water pressure tanks with the cap just relieving air. Scott

skidsteer.ca

Ok, I went out and checked the cap and it is a radiator cap. In the middle it says "test or replace when changing coolant" I Know this is the original cap since I have had this machine since it was new."Caution pressure"and "Do not open when hot" are dead givaways and it's suppose to test out at "13 lbs.". I don't know why the overflow is open and does not return to the system.The way the tank is designed it might be like the old water pressure tanks with the cap just relieving air. Scott
I wonder how it develops any pressure? Must just be the expansion of the fluid from heat. I have heard of this as a way of helping the oil get to the pumps in other applications where compressed air is used to charge the tank.. Pressure above the oil pushes the oil to the pumps. A weak cap is likely your problem and could also be hard on the pumps if they now have to suck their oil up???
Ken

OP
OP
V

vinrum

I wonder how it develops any pressure? Must just be the expansion of the fluid from heat. I have heard of this as a way of helping the oil get to the pumps in other applications where compressed air is used to charge the tank.. Pressure above the oil pushes the oil to the pumps. A weak cap is likely your problem and could also be hard on the pumps if they now have to suck their oil up???
Ken
I found out today by a Mustang Mechanic that it has to much Hydraulic Fluid in it...It kinda has a shitty set-up for the dip stick,,but I take full responsiblity for the mistake, and I am glad it is a cheap mistake,,I didnt have the dipstick pushed down to the bottom of the hydraulic tank.. Causing the tank to be over filled by a gallon or so,,,,For you guys with mustangs, you will know what I am talking about...Thank you all for your input

BrendaR

After running the machine for about 10 minutes or so, the Hydraulic system builds so much pressure in it, the fluid starts to leak out of the hose (what I would call the overflow on a radiator)but at the end of the hose is a filter vent..Today I used the machine for a couple of hours and I started to remove the filler cap on the hydraulic tank and fluid start pushing out like a hot radiator,,,I took the filter vent off the hose and cleaned it, but it still is dripping out but not as bad..Any Ideas what my problem is
Thanks
Hi, I am hoping you can help me, I bought a used 2044 mustang with no hydraulic dipstick, I can make 1 but I don't know where the low and overfull lines are, can you give me the measurements? Thank you so much.

Mustang Guy

Hi, I am hoping you can help me, I bought a used 2044 mustang with no hydraulic dipstick, I can make 1 but I don't know where the low and overfull lines are, can you give me the measurements? Thank you so much.
The dipstick is supposed to touch the bottom of the reservoir, and I think the full mark is about three inches up. I'll take a pic of mine tomorrow.

Mustang Guy

Sorry I'm late. The fill tube is at an angle, and the bent tab at the end faces up when checking the level.

Dipstick (3).jpg

Dipstick (2).jpg

Dipstick (1).jpg

haymaker

great photos
I think a guy could just get a stick long enough from a junk yard from most any diesel truck for a couple of bucks and mark it.
I know the one in my Cummins in my big dodge would work.