Mustang 1200 starter problem

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

gfarr51

I have this older model , just purchased, and the starter will not engage the flywheel. New original equipment starter but apparently the gears of the starter do not reach the teeth of the flywheel.
Starter taken back out and bench tested as good. Anyone ever have a similar issue?

T-rustyfix

So it seems like either the spacing is wrong, or the ring is loose on the flywheel. Can you take a picture of the opening and gear?

haymaker

I had a starter once that would not engage.
After taking measurements of the travel and proximity to the flywheel, I determined it had enough travel.
I then proceeded to shim each corner with about a .030 thousandth washer, one at a time.
It ultimately worked on the 4th try with a washer tipping it up and in from the bottom outside corner.
Either the casting was a bit off on the face or the inside alignment of the gear and armature were slightly off, probably a machining issue with the locating holes for the shafts on either end that hold the armature and gear.
At any rate it was an OEM Ford starter, identical in appearance to the one that came off the tractor, that should have lined up "out of the box" but did not.
I never had an issue with it once I got it to engage with the shim in place.
Good luck and let us know what you find out.

OP
OP
G

gfarr51

Yes, I will do that tomorrow. Thank you
I had a starter once that would not engage.
After taking measurements of the travel and proximity to the flywheel, I determined it had enough travel.
I then proceeded to shim each corner with about a .030 thousandth washer, one at a time.
It ultimately worked on the 4th try with a washer tipping it up and in from the bottom outside corner.
Either the casting was a bit off on the face or the inside alignment of the gear and armature were slightly off, probably a machining issue with the locating holes for the shafts on either end that hold the armature and gear.
At any rate it was an OEM Ford starter, identical in appearance to the one that came off the tractor, that should have lined up "out of the box" but did not.
I never had an issue with it once I got it to engage with the shim in place.
Good luck and let us know what you find out.
That is a great idea. If I take washers and grind out a slot in each to fit over the 3 studs, that may help in removing/reinstalling over and over. Great tip thanks.
I'll try that today

OP
OP
G

gfarr51

One picture shows where the starter bolt up and the other is a shot from behind the skid steer looking forward.
So it seems like either the spacing is wrong, or the ring is loose on the flywheel. Can you take a picture of the opening and gear?

Attachments

• 20240225_084258.jpg
    20240225_084258.jpg
    286.4 KB · Views: 41
  • 20240225_084346.jpg
    20240225_084346.jpg
    392.7 KB · Views: 37

haymaker

Yes, I will do that tomorrow. Thank you

That is a great idea. If I take washers and grind out a slot in each to fit over the 3 studs, that may help in removing/reinstalling over and over. Great tip thanks.
I'll try that today
I just remembered also, in one of the directions I shimmed it the starter engaged but then the gear would not retract. Tipping it in that direction caused it to bind just enough that the solenoid released the spring could not overcome the pressure. I discovered this when, after it started and I shut it off it would not start again and when I loosened the bolts I heard the gear pop out of the flywheel. Be aware of this.
If the tolerance is tighter than with the Ford you may also get some grinding telling you you are close but not close enough to get it to engage. It is a trial and error process for sure and may not work for you at all.
The ford starter had an angle of about 35% for about 1/4 of an inch that probably helped the gear pick up the flywheel. Hopefully your starter has a generous lead in angle too.
Good luck.

OP
OP
G

gfarr51

I worked on it all day. It's a little frustrating. I did notice, like you, that it does get too tight in the flywheel and is not able to release. At least there is a feeling that it Can be fixed. Thanks for your help.

Firefighter

is the drive clutch ok, the teeth may be engaging, i had bad drives where the starter functioned ok,
but didnt turn engine because of the drive

OP
OP
G

gfarr51

I took it down to a local generator/ starter repair shop and had it tested. It tested ok, but still installed a new ( rebuilt) original equipment starter.