Most Popular Bobcat Model?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

AlphaBob

Does anyone know which model Bobcat was produced in the highest number?
My guess is that it is one of the simplier, earlier models based on my belief that manufacturers have to keep adding features in order to increase price. Sadly, they seem to do these "improvements" until the attractiveness of the original models (i.e. good functionality for the price == VALUE) is lost.
Again, anyone know which model Bobcat was the most popular in this context?

Skiddy

the most popular was NOT the 825...thats all I know.
742 or 743 for sure. I own a 642B and near as I can tell they made up over the 50,000 serial number. I don't know if they skip any but a buddy of mine has serial number 12380.

Skiddy

742 or 743 for sure. I own a 642B and near as I can tell they made up over the 50,000 serial number. I don't know if they skip any but a buddy of mine has serial number 12380.
Last August they produced their 750,000th skiddy so i would say that most models were fairly popular. 742 or 3 were tops I bet.

bcollida

Last August they produced their 750,000th skiddy so i would say that most models were fairly popular. 742 or 3 were tops I bet.
Coreya Tell us more about your 825! Doesn't sound like you are too happy about it. What is up wth the machine

coreya3212

Coreya Tell us more about your 825! Doesn't sound like you are too happy about it. What is up wth the machine
Nawwww, nothing wrong at all. I was just joking around. Actually, I quite like the old girl. No electronics ar safety features getting in the way. Its the first SS i have owned, so maybe I am just naive on all the latest upgrades and comforts etc... I just use it for personal around the acreage and it works well. I have found that not many people, even on the forum, have actually worked on one, hands on. But every problem I have had, the guys here have always been able to lead me down the right trail from the experience on fixing other gear so I have zero complaints.

thebobcatguy

Years ago I heard that the 743 was the most produced Bobcat model, but I would bet anything that the S185 has surpased it now. Just look at machinery trader and some of the other online equipment auction sites. There are hundreds if not thousands of them for sale at any one given moment.

Kelly

Years ago I heard that the 743 was the most produced Bobcat model, but I would bet anything that the S185 has surpased it now. Just look at machinery trader and some of the other online equipment auction sites. There are hundreds if not thousands of them for sale at any one given moment.
Yup, I love 743's. To sell, that is. They fix up nice and every farmer in the country wants one. When I take a machine home for the weekend I always try to get a S185 if there isn't a T190 available.

Tazza

Staff member
Yup, I love 743's. To sell, that is. They fix up nice and every farmer in the country wants one. When I take a machine home for the weekend I always try to get a S185 if there isn't a T190 available.
I think the 743 is an excellent machine, easy to repair and parts are still available. It makes for a great farm machine, i wouldn't recommend it for commercial work even if its beein re-built, it just doesn't have the power and speed of newer machines. After i got my hands on a 753 i didn't want to let it go! but the price was rite so i did. The extra HP and larger pumps and drive motors make them better. The trade off is the electronics, when they go you can be up for big $$. I just bought new coils and stems for the aux hydraulics on a 753, my local dealer wanted about 300 AUD per side, so $600 round figures. The 743 uses a lever for the aux control, it doesn't go bad! little things like that.

Kelly

I think the 743 is an excellent machine, easy to repair and parts are still available. It makes for a great farm machine, i wouldn't recommend it for commercial work even if its beein re-built, it just doesn't have the power and speed of newer machines. After i got my hands on a 753 i didn't want to let it go! but the price was rite so i did. The extra HP and larger pumps and drive motors make them better. The trade off is the electronics, when they go you can be up for big $$. I just bought new coils and stems for the aux hydraulics on a 753, my local dealer wanted about 300 AUD per side, so $600 round figures. The 743 uses a lever for the aux control, it doesn't go bad! little things like that.
Very true Tazza. Did you ever get the aux hydraulics stuck in detent and not be able to start the engine? I have fallen for that trick more times than I care to admit!

Tazza

Staff member
Very true Tazza. Did you ever get the aux hydraulics stuck in detent and not be able to start the engine? I have fallen for that trick more times than I care to admit!
I have never had that problem actually, over here 99% of the machines have 4 in 1 buckets. If you lock the aux on the bucket starts to open so you know its stuck in detent. I still have no idea how you guys live without them :)