Bobcat 853 Isuzu rebuild Model not match serial

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Lincoln017

Looking to get 4JB1 engine rebuilt however the Model number does not match the serial number. Professional rebuilders won't touch it. Isuzu dealers no help. any ideas?? the engine is original.

foton

I think I would take it to bobcat dealer and let them sort it out, if it is easily seen that it is all factory installed. No doubt they will not really want to .

OP
OP
L

Lincoln017

I've had a terrible time ordering parts for the engine from the dealer. They are totally confused and have no answers. I've actually asked two dealers to find me a replacement engine and nothing...
I'm sure everything is original as I purchased it new.

foton

well the only suggestion I have is to call bobcat US operations and talk to someone that has the ability to research the machine numbers . They might have more details that a dealer might not have access to. More to you bought it new 1 owner you have history that should mean something, you would think.

Tazza

Staff member
What parts are you after for your engine, i may be able to help you out. If you look up my profile, you can hopefully send me an email

I now work for an engine builder, we should be able to get parts for your engine

wateka

The 4JB1 is still widely used. In Asia, that is, and in clone form. I just rebuilt my 4JB1 out of my 853 using a rebuild kit off of eBay.
I'm guessing that the pros won't touch it because of the EPA regulations, especially since Isuzu no longer makes the engine. I thought about importing a new 4JB1 clone from China, but importing to the USA is the roadblock there.

I ordered the below rebuild kit and added crankshaft, camshaft, tappets, push rods,
Rocker Arm Assy', and the camshaft thrust plate. Everything but the head and the block essentially.

The parts looked to be good quality, but I have yet to fire it up given the rest of the reassembly I'm working on. That, plus it's 107° in Texas right now.
IMG_2356.png

OP
OP
L

Lincoln017

So do you think all the 4JB1 engines put into 853's are the same? I notice the description in the ad shows 853 and 843 models but those are different HP engines are they not?
I needed a new injector line and the dealer suggested their were 4 possibilities. I ended up ordering all four and of the four , one fit. I thought for a moment that my dealer now knew which motor I had but apparently not. They claimed they still could not determine which motor we had.
When you ordered the kit, did you not have to supply the serial number?

wateka

I do, because there's just one part number shown, 6650076, for the 853 engine in my parts manual and that says it covers:
Serial Number: 508415001 - 508417999, 509715001 - 509717999, 510125001 & Above, 510250001 & Above, 510375001 & Above, 512811001 - 512815999

That does not mean that all the 4JB1 reman kits are the same - different liner grades, and different pistons (turbo vs non-turbo) are out there.

I don't know anything about the 843, but you can go to the Bobcat parts manual online to check what part numbers the 843 has and compare them to the 853.

As for the injector line, the pictures on the parts manual online should help figure out what you need.

OP
OP
L

Lincoln017

My serial number for the bobcat is 510250237 so it looks like it would be included under your rebuild part number. Don't know if I want to tackle a rebuild myself.
Sorry about the heat. I'm sure doing anything in that heat is tough.

OP
OP
L

Lincoln017

I guess my problem has been that my engine serial number is 690522 which according the experts is not a 4JB1 engine

wateka

Does your engine have the Isuzu logo and 4JB1 as part of the casting of the engine block? See pic for my engine. If it does, then, duh, tell the experts that it's a 4JB1. If it doesn't, then a prior owner rebuilt it at some point with a new block, or put in a replacement clone. That would explain why the experts are telling you it's not original. Also, a lot of the clones have in-line fuel injectors. The 853 4JB1 came with a rotary injector. I'm wondering if that why your injector lines didn't fit?

IMG_2359.jpeg

3609148C-D4ED-4866-9BB2-2BA5B4927EA8.jpeg

OP
OP
L

Lincoln017

Yes, my engine model number and serial number placement is the same as yours. Right in the casting. It appears I have the rotary injector system. I purchased the machine brand new so there have been no engine replacements.

wateka

Possibly, but at ~30 years after the fact, I'm not sure if that's going to make a difference for your situation. The Bobcat dealers can't help with parts because Bobcat does not carry them anymore. Find a kit on eBay that has everything you'll need, find a decent shop to do the rebuild (if you really don't want to do it yourself) and get it rebuilt.

I did find one Isuzu dealer that sent me a parts quote, below. That's the belt and suspenders way, to be sure, but at $5,100 for parts alone, it did not make economic sense.

IMG_2365.jpeg

OP
OP
L

Lincoln017

I phoned Bobcat parts team. For whatever reason, they cannot match engine serial numbers up with engine model numbers. Others(engine rebuilders) tell me they have in the past and they don't match.
Anyway, they said to order parts based on the machine serial number not the engine serial number.
Fingers crossed.

brdgbldr

I phoned Bobcat parts team. For whatever reason, they cannot match engine serial numbers up with engine model numbers. Others(engine rebuilders) tell me they have in the past and they don't match.
Anyway, they said to order parts based on the machine serial number not the engine serial number.
Fingers crossed.
If you order parts directly from Bobcat you get 30 days to return them for a full refund as long as they are still in sellable condition.

Shipping is free if the order is $99+ dollars.