matching up equipment

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

CanAm

To start things off,I have a line on a bobcat brand backhoe attachment. It's been at 6 months since I checked it out so I can't remember the # on it. If it helps it has stabilisers. Before I go look at it again does anybody know why I couldn't run it on my NH ls 170? If there is no problem what is a ball park price for one in decent conditioin? Thanks, Marc

Tazza

Staff member
It will run on any skid steer with aux hydraulics. The only problem you may have, is you need to ensure its not too large for your machine. A 709 or 909 will run happily on your machine, but the larger ones will be too heavy.
Depending on age and condition, they usually run 2-4k i guess.

OP
OP
C

CanAm

It will run on any skid steer with aux hydraulics. The only problem you may have, is you need to ensure its not too large for your machine. A 709 or 909 will run happily on your machine, but the larger ones will be too heavy.
Depending on age and condition, they usually run 2-4k i guess.
I think the unit's about 11 yrs old and was bought to dig the footings for his foundation and has been only used a handful of times since. It's also been kept inside so it's in pretty decent shape. I think I can probably get it for $2500.00.

Tazza

Staff member
I think the unit's about 11 yrs old and was bought to dig the footings for his foundation and has been only used a handful of times since. It's also been kept inside so it's in pretty decent shape. I think I can probably get it for $2500.00.
If it has had light use i believe thats a good price. Do note if it was stored outside or in sunlight the hoses may start to crack. They can be replaced but make sure you factor that in if they look cracked they will need to be replaced sometime in the future.
Over here (Australia) i believe those attachments new are 6-8K but don't quote me on that.
You will also need brackets to get it to lock to your skid steers frame. Don't even think of using it without it being attached, it throws you all over the place! been there... done that.

OP
OP
C

CanAm

If it has had light use i believe thats a good price. Do note if it was stored outside or in sunlight the hoses may start to crack. They can be replaced but make sure you factor that in if they look cracked they will need to be replaced sometime in the future.
Over here (Australia) i believe those attachments new are 6-8K but don't quote me on that.
You will also need brackets to get it to lock to your skid steers frame. Don't even think of using it without it being attached, it throws you all over the place! been there... done that.
I'm glad you posted about those brackets. The owner had the arms locked back by welding trailer hitch balls. I was wondering how important they were. I hesitate welding brackets on to my machine because it still looks pretty nice; but if it needs to be done. Have many of you guys used these attachments? I never have and still not sure about it. I would use it for tree holes, retaining walls and some sewer and water service repair. Any input is appreciated. Thanks Marc

skidsteer.ca

I'm glad you posted about those brackets. The owner had the arms locked back by welding trailer hitch balls. I was wondering how important they were. I hesitate welding brackets on to my machine because it still looks pretty nice; but if it needs to be done. Have many of you guys used these attachments? I never have and still not sure about it. I would use it for tree holes, retaining walls and some sewer and water service repair. Any input is appreciated. Thanks Marc
If it is a 709 the arms that lock back to the frame hooks on each side of the hoe are too narrow to clear your boom.
I believe it would be the earlier 909 or 911 (for 9 ft dig and 11 ft dig depth) The 911 would be a big load but could still work imo. They both mounted to 2 trailer balls from the factory.
You would need to remove the two arms with the 2" ball couplers on them and rework some sort of mechanical linkage to steady your bucket tilt cylinders while digging. Otherwise (base on my 853 experience) the hoe will keep tilting forward and you will have to jump into the cab and correct this every few minutes.
The simple fix for your aplication is a quick release 3 pt top link from a farm tractor rear hitch.
Both JD and NH have these. They are plenty strong enough to steady the hoe. The best part is you loader will require a minimum of welding to set it up. Just two flat plates of metal standing on edge about 4 by 5 by 1/2 or 5/8".
A 1" pin goes though them and holds a sphere that the 3rd link snaps over. It works well and is neet and clean. And in the future could be adapted to any loader brand easily.
Also if the couplers the trailer ball fit into have not been repaired on the rear side by welding more steel around the coupler, then it has been used vary little, because all the 909s broke there. Also on the boom there is a gusset that should be extended on the top side. It stops about 8" from the center pivot point of the main boom, and the boom liked to crack down the sides from the top down, right where it ends. I extended mine up past the center pivot with 1/8" by 1" flat iron and never had any more trouble.
Otherwise they are a pretty good hoe. All the pivots have replaceable bushing and pins. Too bad that bobcat did not make there loaders this way.
Ken

OP
OP
C

CanAm

If it is a 709 the arms that lock back to the frame hooks on each side of the hoe are too narrow to clear your boom.
I believe it would be the earlier 909 or 911 (for 9 ft dig and 11 ft dig depth) The 911 would be a big load but could still work imo. They both mounted to 2 trailer balls from the factory.
You would need to remove the two arms with the 2" ball couplers on them and rework some sort of mechanical linkage to steady your bucket tilt cylinders while digging. Otherwise (base on my 853 experience) the hoe will keep tilting forward and you will have to jump into the cab and correct this every few minutes.
The simple fix for your aplication is a quick release 3 pt top link from a farm tractor rear hitch.
Both JD and NH have these. They are plenty strong enough to steady the hoe. The best part is you loader will require a minimum of welding to set it up. Just two flat plates of metal standing on edge about 4 by 5 by 1/2 or 5/8".
A 1" pin goes though them and holds a sphere that the 3rd link snaps over. It works well and is neet and clean. And in the future could be adapted to any loader brand easily.
Also if the couplers the trailer ball fit into have not been repaired on the rear side by welding more steel around the coupler, then it has been used vary little, because all the 909s broke there. Also on the boom there is a gusset that should be extended on the top side. It stops about 8" from the center pivot point of the main boom, and the boom liked to crack down the sides from the top down, right where it ends. I extended mine up past the center pivot with 1/8" by 1" flat iron and never had any more trouble.
Otherwise they are a pretty good hoe. All the pivots have replaceable bushing and pins. Too bad that bobcat did not make there loaders this way.
Ken
Hey thanks Ken. Ran into the guy today and said it was a 909. His price is $2200.00. Need to figure now how useful it is. Anyone have input?

skidsteer.ca

Hey thanks Ken. Ran into the guy today and said it was a 909. His price is $2200.00. Need to figure now how useful it is. Anyone have input?
If it looks like it will work and has not been abandon for years. Boom is not all bent cracked and welded up or caved in from rocks being curled into it by the bucket, RUN there and give him the cash.
Until you purchase a mini ex you will use the backhoe for trenching, stump and rock removal, craning, putting in culverts and drain tile, tough digging your bucket can't penetrate, and on and on.
And after you have done all that, it will still be worth at least what he is asking for it.
Ken

Latest posts