M500 Hydraulics quit

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

General Chaos

Anyone know if trans-hydraulic oil can get too thick in the cold to make the hydraulics guit? I've used my M500 in colder weather than this and have never had a problem. It started shortly after first using it today. The hydraulics were a bit jerky and whined a little but still worked. After about 20 minutes, no more lift or tilt. Its in the shop now warming up. There is a filter under the floor boards. Could this get restricted enough to shut down the hydraulics? I installed a new pump about three years ago. I'll check if its still hooked up to the motor. Any suggestions? Thanks.

OP
OP
G

General Chaos

Okay, thanks. I'll check the oil.
After being inside a heated shop for 4 days the hydraulics finally work again. I drained the oil and it was very milky. So I'm assuming water in the oil, which surprises me since its usually stored indoors and the filler caps are very small. Maybe it gets in at one of the covers, although they look tight. I'll get a new filter and put some fresh oil in.

jerry

After being inside a heated shop for 4 days the hydraulics finally work again. I drained the oil and it was very milky. So I'm assuming water in the oil, which surprises me since its usually stored indoors and the filler caps are very small. Maybe it gets in at one of the covers, although they look tight. I'll get a new filter and put some fresh oil in.
It is probably just accumulated condensation that created the water. As you use the hydraulics you are sucking moist air in and out of the reservoir. Since the whole chain case is the reservoir it will hold a lot of moist air. Older tractors especially John Deeres would gain a lot of water every year in the differential from condensation even when stored under cover.

OP
OP
G

General Chaos

It is probably just accumulated condensation that created the water. As you use the hydraulics you are sucking moist air in and out of the reservoir. Since the whole chain case is the reservoir it will hold a lot of moist air. Older tractors especially John Deeres would gain a lot of water every year in the differential from condensation even when stored under cover.
Is there some kind of water seperator I could install? Or the other option of changing oil every couple of years? The bill for two pails of oil and a filter was $150.00.

jerry

Is there some kind of water seperator I could install? Or the other option of changing oil every couple of years? The bill for two pails of oil and a filter was $150.00.
You don't need a expensive hydrostatic oil in there a good hydraulic oil should do. I think hydraulic is about 35 for five gallons now. I had a 610 and used atf in it just because I had a lot of it. If you use it enough to warm the oil up it should help the water problem , otherwise after it has sat a few days take the drain plug out just enough to drop any water out. Your water probably took a long time to accumulate that much.

OP
OP
G

General Chaos

You don't need a expensive hydrostatic oil in there a good hydraulic oil should do. I think hydraulic is about 35 for five gallons now. I had a 610 and used atf in it just because I had a lot of it. If you use it enough to warm the oil up it should help the water problem , otherwise after it has sat a few days take the drain plug out just enough to drop any water out. Your water probably took a long time to accumulate that much.
I think I found the culprit. I have an inspection/gear covering on either side that are each approx. 24" long by 18" high with a lip along the top where rain water can accumualate. I think I'll run a bead of caulk along the top or if the gaskets are cheap enough I'll order them. While I had the hydraulic oil out of it I had the hydraulic cylinder seals replaced. Now when I leave the bucket up, after two days its still up.

Tazza

Staff member
I think I found the culprit. I have an inspection/gear covering on either side that are each approx. 24" long by 18" high with a lip along the top where rain water can accumualate. I think I'll run a bead of caulk along the top or if the gaskets are cheap enough I'll order them. While I had the hydraulic oil out of it I had the hydraulic cylinder seals replaced. Now when I leave the bucket up, after two days its still up.
Not sure i'd bother with buying a gasket, just replace it with quality silicone sealant.
People that work for the dealer even recommend to not replace the gasket, just use silicone sealant. The gaskets never seem to be really that water tight....

Latest posts