LX565 Cold Weather Hydraulics problem

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

RickW

Hi All. I'm new to this forum and hope I have posted in the correct section. My 1998 LX565 is exhibiting stiff pedals that control the bucket and main lift arms in the cold winter weather (anywhere below freezing it appears). The pedals will actually not rock back and forth. The valve they are controlling is some how stuck. After a lot of pushing you can get them to move a small amount and the arm/bucket will work very slowly.After the machine warms up (45 mins or so) they get easier to use just like in the summer. The main controls to drive the wheels works 100% though which draw off the same hydraulic fluid. At first I thought maybe it was water in the oil, but after replacement I find the same issue. I'm wondering if maybe the 10W30 is just getting super thick and hard to pump. Maybe the lines to the main drive motors are larger so the machine still moves around easy but the lines to the lift cylinders are smaller and the oil has a hard time getting to them? Has anyone else had a similar experience? Rick

Tazza

Staff member
Its very possible its due to the oil being so thick, i wouldn't expect it to be so thick as to not allow you to move the foot pedals though.... It almost sounds like its binding up somehow.
Sorry i can't be of more help. it never gets below zero here.

nebraska_dale

10-30 won't get thick in those temps, we are at 10 and mine works fine with that oil. It reall sound like the linkage may be the issue. I'm just thinking that grease that lubes is really stiff in those temps. hope you find the issue, please post the find. -Dale

skidsteer.ca

10-30 won't get thick in those temps, we are at 10 and mine works fine with that oil. It reall sound like the linkage may be the issue. I'm just thinking that grease that lubes is really stiff in those temps. hope you find the issue, please post the find. -Dale
I can see them being stiff but not to the point you can't make them move. We get -25 here and never had that problem. There really is not even a place for stiff grease on the linkages, the are quite short and the valve is between the pedal.
I guess I would unhook the spools and see how the linkages feel.
Ken

nebraska_dale

One thing that I have noticed, is that after I hook up the seat belt, if I lift the adjust my body, I see the seat belt light on so I have to unhook/hook it again.

heatpumpproducts

One thing that I have noticed, is that after I hook up the seat belt, if I lift the adjust my body, I see the seat belt light on so I have to unhook/hook it again.
i think your on to some thing .
the seat belt is a majore pain in the but if you have a bad or dirty conection .
it will lock up your foot pedals and arm(boom) and bucket , so maybe that should be looked at and its wiring , the seat switch also plays a part in that too.

Anthony Va.

i think your on to some thing .
the seat belt is a majore pain in the but if you have a bad or dirty conection .
it will lock up your foot pedals and arm(boom) and bucket , so maybe that should be looked at and its wiring , the seat switch also plays a part in that too.
I dug this thread up because I'm having the exact same issue with my loader. New holland L218 2012 model. Anytime it gets below freezing the tilt pedal (right foot) doesn't move. Like is frozen up. After it warms up 15 to 20 minutes it starts to free up and a few minutes later will work fine. Wondering if anyone ever figured out how to fix the issue. Thanks

Tazza

Staff member
I dug this thread up because I'm having the exact same issue with my loader. New holland L218 2012 model. Anytime it gets below freezing the tilt pedal (right foot) doesn't move. Like is frozen up. After it warms up 15 to 20 minutes it starts to free up and a few minutes later will work fine. Wondering if anyone ever figured out how to fix the issue. Thanks
All i can think of is water is in there somewhere, if it freezes, naturally it will lock up. your spools should have boots to keep trash out, it's possible there is water in here?