LS 170

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

RRahn

Ok, I am new to forums and skid steers, So I hope I am doing this right. I have a 02 NH LS 170 It is in good shape and has about 900 hours. The other day it started fine five or six times then I went to start it and all I get is flashing lights, and a solenoid on the fuse panel in the enginebay just clicks. Battery is up and has 13.5 volts all grounds were checked and wires and fuses. I calle dhe dealer and they talked me into a rebuilt starter, Same problem. I checked the seat and seatbelt switches and they seem to be operating. Anyone have this issue or any idea how to trace it down. Thanks for any insight.

Tazza

Staff member
I'd check the battery still, put a meter over the terminals then get someone to try and start it. Batteries when they fail can still have 13v across the terminals but under any load that can drop to near zero. Even try another battery or jumper cables.
Its somewhere to start.

Earthwerks Unlimited

I'd check the battery still, put a meter over the terminals then get someone to try and start it. Batteries when they fail can still have 13v across the terminals but under any load that can drop to near zero. Even try another battery or jumper cables.
Its somewhere to start.
The battery may be just fine---however, like all New Hollands I have seen that have not been modified--it's the battery cable connections that are loose or dirty, or both. They use a crappy system of a single bolt through the ringed terminal and into the battery post sort of like a sidepost car battery. Vibration (engine and normal operating) causes the cable to sway loosening the bolt. There is a dealer fix for the cable ends---but a simple change to old-school cable clamps would cure that. (not sure you can still use the posts on the battery when changing to the clamps---may need a new automotive type battery). Raise the loader all the way and rmove the side panel to make it easier to tighten the bolts---clean the connections FIRST!

OP
OP
R

RRahn

Its somewhere to start.
Ok Guys Thanks believe it or not it was the battery. I could test the battery accross the posts and get 13.5 volts. I cleaned all the terminals and borrowed a load tester, it would only show 4 volts when the key was on. I have never seen a battery work one minute just fine then not 5 minutes later have this issue. I guess it takes money to go to school. Thanks for the help.

Tazza

Staff member
Ok Guys Thanks believe it or not it was the battery. I could test the battery accross the posts and get 13.5 volts. I cleaned all the terminals and borrowed a load tester, it would only show 4 volts when the key was on. I have never seen a battery work one minute just fine then not 5 minutes later have this issue. I guess it takes money to go to school. Thanks for the help.
Welcome to the joy of modern batteries... One minute they work fine, the next stone dead! In the "olden days" so i have been told, a battery would slowly get weak, but was rare for it to simply stop working all of a sudden. I had a battery do that in my car, my parents borrowed it, took it to she shops and went to start it, dead as a door nail! $160 later...... It was all good.

Earthwerks Unlimited

Welcome to the joy of modern batteries... One minute they work fine, the next stone dead! In the "olden days" so i have been told, a battery would slowly get weak, but was rare for it to simply stop working all of a sudden. I had a battery do that in my car, my parents borrowed it, took it to she shops and went to start it, dead as a door nail! $160 later...... It was all good.
I really never gave it much thought about old-school v. new school batteries. But you are right! Every battery I have had in the past three years has crapped out without notice--I'm talking probably 15 of them--my Dodge takes two--it's like there's an internal timer that pops and well that's it. Worst part is you take them back and the counter people are not suprised---rather they ARE surprised---surprised that it took so long!

Tazza

Staff member
I really never gave it much thought about old-school v. new school batteries. But you are right! Every battery I have had in the past three years has crapped out without notice--I'm talking probably 15 of them--my Dodge takes two--it's like there's an internal timer that pops and well that's it. Worst part is you take them back and the counter people are not suprised---rather they ARE surprised---surprised that it took so long!
Most batteries have a 1-2 year warranty, soon after that they can simply die on you, i had it happen to me! was a few months out then stone dead. I'm glad i have had better luck than you though! 15 in 3 years!!! thats insane. The battery shops know this, we also agree that there is an internal timer set to go off soon after the warranty is expired.

Earthwerks Unlimited

Most batteries have a 1-2 year warranty, soon after that they can simply die on you, i had it happen to me! was a few months out then stone dead. I'm glad i have had better luck than you though! 15 in 3 years!!! thats insane. The battery shops know this, we also agree that there is an internal timer set to go off soon after the warranty is expired.
Yeah I started finding all these dead batteries after working down south for a year and a half and coming back home. I'd go get one or two, install them and then find something else had a bad battery. Almost all of them had been replaced shortly befiore I left for the south. Everytime I came to get a refund or warranty exchange they got more suspicious thinking I was running a scam---yeah, right---I was the one being scammed. And I notuiced the batteries that used to have the longest warranty were now reduced greatly---hmmm, I wonder if they realized they were losing too much money replacing their crap--so stem the blood letting they reduced the warranty. But no problem, I just traded up to the longest warranty I could find. I remember many years ago Sears got their asses in deep trouble over fraudulently advertising their DieHard batteries which had been around since the '60's were top of the line---turns out they weren't and got sued over it.