Looking for small machine recommendation

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Tom Brown

I've been looking at some small machines. I'd like something in a 36" width, so I can get it onto the beach at my lake house. I've had a close look at NH LS120, LS125, and Bobcat 463 models. They all seem pretty similar. I have no doubt they will all do what I need and they all seem pretty similar. If I were to get something new, I suspect I'd go for the NH LS125. It can be had for around $16K CDN with aux hydraulic attachments and bucket, delivered to my door. That's the diesel version, although I don't necessarily prefer diesel to gas. It looks like the following models apply to my situation: Bobcat 463 (all sub-models) Bobcat 453 Bobcat 443 Bobcat 440 New Holland LS120 New Holland LS125 New Holland L250 New Holland L255 Thomas 85 Should I consider any other models? Are any of these particularly better than the others? The small NH skid steers I've looked at have all had pretty worn pins at 800+ hours of use. Is that because of abuse? Does NH use inferior steel in their pins? Do the Bobcat pins stand up better? How much of an advantage is diesel? I've noticed the LS120 gas is rated at 18hp while the LS125 diesel (pretty much the same machine) is rated at 16.5hp. I assume the diesel makes it's power at lower RPM, perhaps making more usable power in a piece of equipment. I've got lots of gas machines around so I always have a few cans of gas on hand. I don't have anything that takes diesel so that would be a bit inconvenient but a fuel can doesn't cost a lot so it's no big deal. I would appreciate any advice. Thank you.

Tazza

Staff member
Thats really cheap for a new machine! Diesel engines seem to last longer than petrol ones, they use less fuel as diesel has more energy for the same amount of fuel. They do have higher low end torque, they were a mystery to me a few years back as i had never owned or operated a diesel machine. I'm now happy to own and operate anything with a diesel engine, i can even pull a diesel down and actually get it back together and somehow it actually works! Don't let it scare you off just because it runs on diesel. The only problem is they don't like starting in cold weather, as you mention $CDN i assume you are in Canada, you will most likely need block heaters or something to help warm the engine before starting. It will start without but it will add stress to it when its REALLY cold outside, I'm sure Ken will add a few comments here as he has to deal with the cold and knows what is needed.
As for pin wear, its mostly due to lack of service. If its properly greased the pins shouldn't wear. Pins can be replaced though.

bobcat_ron

Thats really cheap for a new machine! Diesel engines seem to last longer than petrol ones, they use less fuel as diesel has more energy for the same amount of fuel. They do have higher low end torque, they were a mystery to me a few years back as i had never owned or operated a diesel machine. I'm now happy to own and operate anything with a diesel engine, i can even pull a diesel down and actually get it back together and somehow it actually works! Don't let it scare you off just because it runs on diesel. The only problem is they don't like starting in cold weather, as you mention $CDN i assume you are in Canada, you will most likely need block heaters or something to help warm the engine before starting. It will start without but it will add stress to it when its REALLY cold outside, I'm sure Ken will add a few comments here as he has to deal with the cold and knows what is needed.
As for pin wear, its mostly due to lack of service. If its properly greased the pins shouldn't wear. Pins can be replaced though.
Those little Bobcat 463's are really indestructible, my dad started his business with 2 400's and he still rants and raves about how durable they were, they are actually built better than Boobcrap's full size machines!

skidsteer.ca

Those little Bobcat 463's are really indestructible, my dad started his business with 2 400's and he still rants and raves about how durable they were, they are actually built better than Boobcrap's full size machines!
Its hard to say on the pins, likely hard use or lack of maintenance. At those hours the pins should not be noticebly worn. Its really hard to say, but unlikely its the brand unless you notice that in all of them over a long period.
I'm a fan of diesel, Better fuel economy, I have many of them and have worked around them all my adult life. Personally I woud not want a gas machine, those for part time users they are fine, diesel has taken over anything that is modern in heavy equipment though. Some are a bit harder to start cold. but generally require less to keep running well. Just filters. No plugs, wires coils, carb or gummy gas problems. Most diesel start pretty well with glow plugs, and a block heater as a $30 must in Canada, as is artic oil if you can't plug in. Best is to keep them indoors in the extreme cold, if not allow 5 to 10 minues run time for the hydrostats to warm up. I know you said your expected hours of use are low, but diesel also hold their value better as most buyers consider it a must.
Ken

OldMachinist

As a owner of a Bobcat 453 I agree with bobcat_ron that they are pretty much indestructible. It is easy to service and maintain. The Bob-Tach on the 453 is different that the standard one in use today so attachments are a little harder to come by. The auxiliary hydraulic flow is also low by todays standards(6.8 gpm). The 463 uses the standard quick attach and the flow is 10gpm. Both are 36" wide with the standard 5.70-12 tires and 44" with the optional 23 x 8.5-12 tires. You mentioned wanting to go out on the beach is it a sandy beach? If so you're going to want the wider tires or tracks so you don't spend most of your time digging the machine out. I've seen good used 453's and 463's with less than 2000 hrs. in the 6-7k USD range. Since I retired I use mine every couple of days and it never lets me down. Hope this helps in your choice.

OP
OP
Tom Brown

Tom Brown

As a owner of a Bobcat 453 I agree with bobcat_ron that they are pretty much indestructible. It is easy to service and maintain. The Bob-Tach on the 453 is different that the standard one in use today so attachments are a little harder to come by. The auxiliary hydraulic flow is also low by todays standards(6.8 gpm). The 463 uses the standard quick attach and the flow is 10gpm. Both are 36" wide with the standard 5.70-12 tires and 44" with the optional 23 x 8.5-12 tires. You mentioned wanting to go out on the beach is it a sandy beach? If so you're going to want the wider tires or tracks so you don't spend most of your time digging the machine out. I've seen good used 453's and 463's with less than 2000 hrs. in the 6-7k USD range. Since I retired I use mine every couple of days and it never lets me down. Hope this helps in your choice.
I really appreciate the information and help, gentlemen. :)