Recommendation

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Junjaks

Hello
I have a question regarding loaders. I have a large ravine in my back yard and I'm looking for recommendations on a machine to haul dirt from my driveway to my ravine, it's about 50 yards. That's all I would use it for and it would be in the warmer months so probably don't need heat. New to the skid loader world. Also if anyone has ideas on what a fair price for a recommended loader would be,I'dappreciate that also.

Thank you

mrbb

why not rent a machine, , then you can rent a larger one, and get the job done and return it!

OP
OP
J

Junjaks

That'sa great idea but this will be a process over a couple of years. I'll be getting free fill from excavators around 1,000 yards worth of dirt. I think it would be more economical to buy a machine and sell it when I'm done vs. renting a machine many times and having it delivered.

mrbb

OK so your planning on moving a 1,000 yards of dirt?
I think I would be looking at larger front end loaders, than a skid steer!
that or I would would be making a road to where this ravine is, and have the trucks as they show up, dump right into it, and have a dozer on hand to push it in
as a 1,000 yards is about 80+ tri axle dump truck loads
and thats a LOT of skid steer buckets, and a lot of hours on a skid steer to do so!
even if only a few at a time show up!
plus a larger \machine will also work to compact things down more for you, having less settling for you as well!

also another thought is, if your having someone haul in dirt, maybe have them move it for you, as odds are they will also have larger equipment
I know a lot of places near me get big deliveries of fill from local contractors, to fill in old strip mines and such, and they typically, here they just haul in a dozer, after a few loads, move and take away and repeat as needed, some sites are going on yrs now, of them doing this

this way your not up keeping a machine, or wearing a smaller one out!,

food for thought for you!

OP
OP
J

Junjaks

Thank you for the idea. I'll have to convince my wife to let me get rid of a walnut tree that's right in the way.

mrbb

Thank you for the idea. I'll have to convince my wife to let me get rid of a walnut tree that's right in the way.
well, never easy to see a older fruit/nut tree have to be cut down, but your talking about a lot of dirt to be moved here, not saying a skid steer cannot do it, but there are for sure better tools for the task IMO
so maybe try and explain that to her, after all time is money as they say, and most want to save money when they can, so she might get it if said that way!
add in, pending the size and condition of the tree, it may have some timber value, even if just 1 tree!
Black walnut is a premium timber to a lot of folks, from lumber yards to hobby wood workers!

can always cut into sections and let age, and sell afterwards if no on wants it as fresh cut!

Latest posts