Lift arm float position not working

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

dae06

Hey, guys, I'm trying to float by bucket for the first time since I've owned my 751 Bobcat. I know it's supposed to be the left foot pedal push down on the toe to lock it into float. I've even tried holding it down as hard as I can, but no luck engaging it. Any ideas as to how I go about troubleshooting this? I would really like to be able to use this during my house build for the driveway and landscaping. Thanks

wings5j

When you push the toe of the left pedal, you should feel the detent go in and when you push on the heel, you will feel it pop out of the detent. As to trouble shooting, I would raise the cab and follow the linkage back to the valve body. You might need someone to press on the pedal while you watch what is going on. You may have to disconnect the linkage at the valve body and try to move it in and out right at the valve to check it out independent of the foot pedal. I use float a lot for back dragging with my bucket and it is what I would call an essential feature ( be careful though back dragging down hill as you may pop the machine on its tail). The only time float is recommends going forward (as far as I know) is when using a snow plow blade. Perhaps there are other attachments where it is useful. John

OP
OP
D

dae06

When you push the toe of the left pedal, you should feel the detent go in and when you push on the heel, you will feel it pop out of the detent. As to trouble shooting, I would raise the cab and follow the linkage back to the valve body. You might need someone to press on the pedal while you watch what is going on. You may have to disconnect the linkage at the valve body and try to move it in and out right at the valve to check it out independent of the foot pedal. I use float a lot for back dragging with my bucket and it is what I would call an essential feature ( be careful though back dragging down hill as you may pop the machine on its tail). The only time float is recommends going forward (as far as I know) is when using a snow plow blade. Perhaps there are other attachments where it is useful. John
Yes, that's the issue. I do not feel it going into detent. I buddy of mine has a bobcat that works correctly. I just don't know where to start looking and how to trouble shoot this.

shepherd

Yes, that's the issue. I do not feel it going into detent. I buddy of mine has a bobcat that works correctly. I just don't know where to start looking and how to trouble shoot this.
3 possibilities I can think of: It hasn't been used for a long time and the springs/ balls that hold it in the detent are rusted or stuck. Or, someone was working on it before you got it and lost the springs and balls. If you remove the cover without being ready for everything to fly out, those parts fly down into the belly of the machine. Or, it's possible that the right pedal linkage could get bound up, and not give you the full travel to "get" the detent. It's a little past the regular heel-toe movement. FYI, the detent is under the long cap, on the rear end of the bottom spool on the control valve. There's a circlip, that is essentially the grenade pin holding those parts from going airborne. There's also a weep hole that you might get some Kroil or WD40 into, to see if it loosens stuff up. SD

OP
OP
D

dae06

3 possibilities I can think of: It hasn't been used for a long time and the springs/ balls that hold it in the detent are rusted or stuck. Or, someone was working on it before you got it and lost the springs and balls. If you remove the cover without being ready for everything to fly out, those parts fly down into the belly of the machine. Or, it's possible that the right pedal linkage could get bound up, and not give you the full travel to "get" the detent. It's a little past the regular heel-toe movement. FYI, the detent is under the long cap, on the rear end of the bottom spool on the control valve. There's a circlip, that is essentially the grenade pin holding those parts from going airborne. There's also a weep hole that you might get some Kroil or WD40 into, to see if it loosens stuff up. SD
I've seen some videos on that part being worked on, but I am not sure where is it on the control valve. Is it linked to the left foot pedal? I'm not able to be by the 751 until tonight, but I assume it's one of the valves on the control valve under the seat? Just not sure how to tell which one. Any pictures wold also help. Thanks

Tazza

Staff member
I've seen some videos on that part being worked on, but I am not sure where is it on the control valve. Is it linked to the left foot pedal? I'm not able to be by the 751 until tonight, but I assume it's one of the valves on the control valve under the seat? Just not sure how to tell which one. Any pictures wold also help. Thanks
The detent part is in the cap on the rear of the control block. It will have an E clip on the back of the cap. Take the clip out, remove the screws and slide teh cap off. Be careful removing the next part as there are two balls and a spring that is the detent part that fly out at you.

kilohertz

The detent part is in the cap on the rear of the control block. It will have an E clip on the back of the cap. Take the clip out, remove the screws and slide teh cap off. Be careful removing the next part as there are two balls and a spring that is the detent part that fly out at you.
I had no idea I had float until a year later, I finally read the manual. :) On mine I have to really hammer my toe to get it to engage and stay, just a quick sharp blow. I can't get it to engage if I just press hard on it, it won't go into detent. And yes, careful going backwards downhill, sometimes the float won't float until you start moving and the hydraulics have a chance to settle out.
Cheers

OP
OP
D

dae06

I had no idea I had float until a year later, I finally read the manual. :) On mine I have to really hammer my toe to get it to engage and stay, just a quick sharp blow. I can't get it to engage if I just press hard on it, it won't go into detent. And yes, careful going backwards downhill, sometimes the float won't float until you start moving and the hydraulics have a chance to settle out.
Cheers
Update: So after putting about ~40 hours on the "new to me" 751, and continuously trying to get the float to work, I finally got it to float. The only issue is, I have to hold the pedal down as it does not stay in detent by itself. Although it really makes back grading soooo much nicer, it is a pain to try to keep the pedal depressed while turning around to see where I am going. Now that I know it somewhat works, are there any suggestions on how to get it to hold the detent without needing to hold the pedal down? I've hammered on it hard, but it just wont stay. Thanks

Tazza

Staff member
Update: So after putting about ~40 hours on the "new to me" 751, and continuously trying to get the float to work, I finally got it to float. The only issue is, I have to hold the pedal down as it does not stay in detent by itself. Although it really makes back grading soooo much nicer, it is a pain to try to keep the pedal depressed while turning around to see where I am going. Now that I know it somewhat works, are there any suggestions on how to get it to hold the detent without needing to hold the pedal down? I've hammered on it hard, but it just wont stay. Thanks
It sounds like there is wear in the detent parts, the ony way to fix them is to replace them all. You will need to remove the cap on the back of the tilt section of the control block, remove the E clip, slide the cover off then carefully slide the next cover off, there is a spring and metal balls that will try and escape.
Your wear will either be the balls or the housing, even both could be scored. A new spring may be in order too. The fun part is getting the cap back on with the spring and balls. I found using a bigger cable tie to hold them in place and compress them while you slide the cover on.