John Deere 240 what do you think?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

sandhills-elect

Hey guys, my brother is thinking about tradeing his New Holland L555 off for a john deere 240. They have a standard 240 and a seris II for the same money, just want some info on these and what a person might look for on a used one besides the normal stuff you would look at. I am not sure on hours of the two. Let me know any and all thoughts or suggestions, on these models. I have read that the seris II is an upgraded model. I have also heard these many have alot of electrical problems is this correct. Thanks in advance Brent.

frogfarmer

These units had all kinds of problems. I would steer away from the Deere skids if at all possible. If the price seems really good its because they know what they have and are trying to unload it. The L555 in my opinion would be worth fixing before taking the plunge on the Deere. I'm not a Deere hater but the first skids THEY built are notorious. The current models are nice reliable machines.

OP
OP
S

sandhills-elect

These units had all kinds of problems. I would steer away from the Deere skids if at all possible. If the price seems really good its because they know what they have and are trying to unload it. The L555 in my opinion would be worth fixing before taking the plunge on the Deere. I'm not a Deere hater but the first skids THEY built are notorious. The current models are nice reliable machines.
He wants to trade for something with aux. hydros and i just don't like the chain case being the hydraulic reservoir on these unit, looks like problems to me. I think i will steer him to another brand. Thanks Brent.

jklingel

He wants to trade for something with aux. hydros and i just don't like the chain case being the hydraulic reservoir on these unit, looks like problems to me. I think i will steer him to another brand. Thanks Brent.
I've never heard that JDs had any more problems than any other machines, but I am not a long-time operator, either. My 240 had 1200 hrs on it when I got it, never had had any major problems, and never gave me any grief in the 350 hrs I operated it. That is a small window, yes. I asked a hard pack customer about reliability (he services skid steers at Cat, and anything at night and on weekends) of different brands, and he said he could not see any particular differences. Another small window. Just in talking to other guys who operate different machines, I've never had one comment about how JDs don't cut it. My 332 only has about 400 hrs on it, but, as expected from a new machine, no "issues". FWIW .... j