JD 250 started and won't restart

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

roellb

I have a 1999 JD 250 Skidsteer, when I went to get the machine out for the first time this spring, I jumped in and it started immediately and sounded just fine. After 15-20 seconds it stopped running and I can't restart it. My guess is that it is not getting fuel; it started on the fuel in the system and now has nothing. The fuel pump is running, and while the pump was running I opened the bottom of the water/fuel filter and it was pumping fuel out. There is a inline fuel filter next to a silver box found on top of the fuel tank but is that before or after the water/fuel filter my guess is before so changing the inline filter really won't help. I checked the 4 fuses in the pannel on the right side next to the drivers seat and they were all good. I just don't know what to do next, our local (40 minutes out) JD dealer does not have on-site service so I am stuck.

Tazza

Staff member
I don't know how they are setup, but some have an external fuel shut off solenoid. Make sure its in the run position when you crank. If its not, you won't be getting any fuel to the injectors and it will not start.
Do you get any smoke when it cranks?

OP
OP
R

roellb

I don't know how they are setup, but some have an external fuel shut off solenoid. Make sure its in the run position when you crank. If its not, you won't be getting any fuel to the injectors and it will not start.
Do you get any smoke when it cranks?
Thanks, I will try to find a layout of the fuel system so I can locate the solenoid. I am not seeing or smelling any smoke (the machine is in a small shed). That's good suggestion since it does not have a manual fuel shut off, maybe the solenoid is bad or isn't getting the voltage needed to open it.