JD 260 won't start.

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Ken the Mender

Have a JD 260 diesel skid steer that was working fine, then it died while running and now if the key is turned to run or start position nothing happens. Volt gauge doesn't register voltage when key is turned on. Checked battery-12 volts. connections good. 12 volts at positive starter terminal. Tried remote starter switch, but mine is a piece of crap. Checked voltage at intake heater relay-12 volts. Pulled the overhead dash panel and back probed the ignition switch. No voltage at the switch connection. Fuse panel under the cab has 12 volts. Safety switches under seat and for the belt were bypassed.
The driver said that when it died at first he slammed the roll up cab door and the skid steer started up.

My question is-are there any places where wiring corrodes (used to load salt in winter) or brakes in wiring from cab being raised.

foton

check to see if there is a fuse link or large main starter circuit fuse near the engine , it looks like some of the accessories circuits are working. I would think since a jolt got it runnning when the door was opened you have a connector somewhere that is giving you a resistance issue. a battery load tester might be real useful if it is, because you will see voltage but wont have enough amps, the load tester will show this.

According to John Deeres website the 260E & 260D have a hall effect door sensor

I would check that first, you can bypass it with a piece of wire looped

Attachments

• _20230702_132322.png
    _20230702_132322.png
    80.6 KB · Views: 60