Input shaft seal leak on 743

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

NYDiggerman

After good info from Tazza and others on this site I got my 743 back together after the u joints exploded and took out the input shaft on the tranny. Put in new shaft, bearings, front seal, ujoints,and front tranny damper mounts and all motor mounts. Checked height of input shaft and motor to insure proper alignment. Ran good for about 30 hours and now the front seal is leaking. When backing up and tilting bucket at same time, I have noticed a short (20 second) whine and I get a vibration in the control levers at the same time. Is it possible I could have a problem where it is building pressure in the tranny and blew out the seal? Thanks for a place to get good info

Tazza

Staff member
I have changed the filters and it doesn't have the bronze filter.
The shaking and whine could be air in the system, but after 30 hours, that should all be gone.
Are thee any growls or shuddering with the lift/tilt functions?

OP
OP
N

NYDiggerman

The shaking and whine could be air in the system, but after 30 hours, that should all be gone.
Are thee any growls or shuddering with the lift/tilt functions?
No all those worked fine. I am having trouble posting so if I don't get right back that's why

OP
OP
N

NYDiggerman

No all those worked fine. I am having trouble posting so if I don't get right back that's why
The oil is coming out of the shroud and I can see it up to the radiator. I probably have more like 50 hours running. That's what is puzzling. The whine only seemed to happen when I was backing up and tilting bucket back. When the shuder happens it actually feels like the steer levers are being pushed back to neutral position.

antfarmer2

The oil is coming out of the shroud and I can see it up to the radiator. I probably have more like 50 hours running. That's what is puzzling. The whine only seemed to happen when I was backing up and tilting bucket back. When the shuder happens it actually feels like the steer levers are being pushed back to neutral position.
On my 743 the two steel lines just to right of center behind the shroud where they cross at a 90 wore holes in them I wonder if yours did the same thing

OP
OP
N

NYDiggerman

On my 743 the two steel lines just to right of center behind the shroud where they cross at a 90 wore holes in them I wonder if yours did the same thing
I thought of this also but if so wouldn't only leak when I activated the lift or tilt? This is running out oil with it sitting idling.

antfarmer2

This is leaking more than a bit. It looks like it's afraid of getting lost and needs a trail to follow home
Lol sound right park it you can pull the metal plate with the oil cooler with rad and muffler in one piece there are two hidden bollts on either side makes it alot easyer to line the ujoints up when putting the engine back make sure you don't run it dry!!!!!!!

Tazza

Staff member
Lol sound right park it you can pull the metal plate with the oil cooler with rad and muffler in one piece there are two hidden bollts on either side makes it alot easyer to line the ujoints up when putting the engine back make sure you don't run it dry!!!!!!!
I wonder if there is some damage to the seal making it leak.... It could be noisy from drawing in air past the seal?

OP
OP
N

NYDiggerman

I wonder if there is some damage to the seal making it leak.... It could be noisy from drawing in air past the seal?
I haven't had a chance to pull the motor yet. I wondered the same but I figured it would have leaked before this. I was real careful putting the seal in since I ruined one seal from a burr on the edge of the bore for the seal. Since I couldn't think of anything else I wondered if there was a way the tranny could have excess pressure and blew the seal?

antfarmer2

I haven't had a chance to pull the motor yet. I wondered the same but I figured it would have leaked before this. I was real careful putting the seal in since I ruined one seal from a burr on the edge of the bore for the seal. Since I couldn't think of anything else I wondered if there was a way the tranny could have excess pressure and blew the seal?
It sounds just like mine did when the steel lines failed a commen problem with the 743........ you did put the snap ring in right

OP
OP
N

NYDiggerman

It sounds just like mine did when the steel lines failed a commen problem with the 743........ you did put the snap ring in right
Sorry if this comes through wrong. I keep getting a server error in '/' application each time I try to reply. I remember tapping snap ring in til it snapped into place. I don't think I used a new snap ring. I suppose the ring could have snapped out. As I told Taz I haven't had a chance to pull it apart, hopefully in a couple of days. Will update as I go. Thanks for input.

antfarmer2

Sorry if this comes through wrong. I keep getting a server error in '/' application each time I try to reply. I remember tapping snap ring in til it snapped into place. I don't think I used a new snap ring. I suppose the ring could have snapped out. As I told Taz I haven't had a chance to pull it apart, hopefully in a couple of days. Will update as I go. Thanks for input.
If I am right you will have to pull the metal plate out with all the goodies to pull the shroud if you do this first the engine is easyer to pull out and put in

Latest posts