Hydraulic pullers

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

skidsteer.ca

Has anyone had anything to do with the cheap hydraulic pullers like these.
I assume they are made off shore.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/12-T...Z160537500933QQptZMotorsQ5fAutomotiveQ5fTools
Are they best left where they are. just junk or are they ok. like most people I only need one a few times a year.
I was looking at the posi lock line of theaded pullers to, 4 x the price, maybe well worth it though?
Ken

sandhills-elect

Ken,
I never used one, but if gets a person out of a bind once, looks like it would pretty much be paid off. I think most of that stuff has a short life span, but if a person just uses once in a while, i think you get along fine if you don't abuse it. Most that stuff would not want to make a living with, but works when you need it without allot out of pocket, that is just my soap box on the china, stuff. I have some of it and use it once in a while, just try to be careful because it is probably no better that it says, not like some name brand stuff that a guy can abuse a little and get away with it. Good luck Brent.

Des

I have this type of hyd puller, about 8 yrs use only thing I have had to do is reseal ram & replace exstension rods (only from abuse! ) but its good when you dont have a press handy.Not a bad price mine cost over$ 300 AU .Probably different brand.

Tazza

Staff member
I have this type of hyd puller, about 8 yrs use only thing I have had to do is reseal ram & replace exstension rods (only from abuse! ) but its good when you dont have a press handy.Not a bad price mine cost over$ 300 AU .Probably different brand.
My dad got a set, well partial set YEARS ago. I have used it a few times, its a name brand and the force you get with it is really good. The only problem is its bulky and takes longer than a standard puller with a threaded rod, but i think the pulling force makes up for it. I'm not game to strike it to try and shock taper locked stuff off like i do with the other one. Tighten it up, then a sharp smack to the head of the screw.
If i could get one with all the adaptors for that price, i'd grab one.

OP
OP
skidsteer.ca

skidsteer.ca

My dad got a set, well partial set YEARS ago. I have used it a few times, its a name brand and the force you get with it is really good. The only problem is its bulky and takes longer than a standard puller with a threaded rod, but i think the pulling force makes up for it. I'm not game to strike it to try and shock taper locked stuff off like i do with the other one. Tighten it up, then a sharp smack to the head of the screw.
If i could get one with all the adaptors for that price, i'd grab one.
Well i went and bought a standard threaded puller from McMaster Carr, USA built for 75, though I may add one of these at some time. There are a lot more options on the hydraulic one for what they will do then the one I ordered. Good to hear there has been some positive experience.
Ken

Tazza

Staff member
Well i went and bought a standard threaded puller from McMaster Carr, USA built for 75, though I may add one of these at some time. There are a lot more options on the hydraulic one for what they will do then the one I ordered. Good to hear there has been some positive experience.
Ken
Another downside is how slow they are to operate, you wind it all the way down, and you get about 1/2" - 3/4" of movement, but that movement is 12 tonnes of force :)

Des

Another downside is how slow they are to operate, you wind it all the way down, and you get about 1/2" - 3/4" of movement, but that movement is 12 tonnes of force :)
Hey Tazza, I have been using one in the feild for years, when you are 50 Km from w/shop a hyd puller is worth its weight in gold,but in the w/shop you cant go past a good 35 ton press.