hyd. quick coupler

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

carpman15

does any one know what size wrench the flush face hyd couplers are i need to buy the correct wrench since i work at a dealer i keep forgetting to ask the main bobcat guy at our dealership and i dont feel like hauling a coupler into the store brett

Tazza

Staff member
I would just use a shifting spanner, that way you adjust it to what is needed. Different couplers use their own sizes depending on coupling size and what country they are made in. Most of mine use 1" but some are 1 1/8", I'd go the shifter and you can't go wrong!

bobcat_ron

I would just use a shifting spanner, that way you adjust it to what is needed. Different couplers use their own sizes depending on coupling size and what country they are made in. Most of mine use 1" but some are 1 1/8", I'd go the shifter and you can't go wrong!
Which couplers, the hose ends or the big ones on the loader with the fancy bulk head, those ones need a huge 2" socket to work right, don't use a wrench, one slip and the edges are done for.

Fishfiles

I don't know what size the nut of the new style flat face quick coupler that screws into the machine is but have the socket from Bobcat that fits it , they sell it for bout $30.00 , all it really is a spindle nut socket if you know what I mean , the type of socket used to remove the spindle nut on like a 4 x 4 truck front axle , a wrench doesn't really fit it as you can't get it in between the arm and the coupler , if you don't have a socket then you can take a dull chiesel and catch the edge of the jam nut and hammer it till it turns then use a set of water pump(channel lock) pliers to turn it out , the hex on the quick coupler that goes on the attachments is 1 3/8

perry

I don't know what size the nut of the new style flat face quick coupler that screws into the machine is but have the socket from Bobcat that fits it , they sell it for bout $30.00 , all it really is a spindle nut socket if you know what I mean , the type of socket used to remove the spindle nut on like a 4 x 4 truck front axle , a wrench doesn't really fit it as you can't get it in between the arm and the coupler , if you don't have a socket then you can take a dull chiesel and catch the edge of the jam nut and hammer it till it turns then use a set of water pump(channel lock) pliers to turn it out , the hex on the quick coupler that goes on the attachments is 1 3/8
When I decided to remove the engine and hyd. drive from my 853, I purchased the 15" adjustable from Crawford tools, it adjust to all large connections on my 853. I found them by accident while driving over to UPS. What's best..they only sell 'quality tools', a little pricy but I should have them for years....
http://www.crawfordtool.com/adjustable wrenches.html

OP
OP
C

carpman15

When I decided to remove the engine and hyd. drive from my 853, I purchased the 15" adjustable from Crawford tools, it adjust to all large connections on my 853. I found them by accident while driving over to UPS. What's best..they only sell 'quality tools', a little pricy but I should have them for years....
http://www.crawfordtool.com/adjustable%20wrenches.html
yea i knew that the ones on the actual machine used a "special" socket i was wondering about the one on the attachments i knew they were bigger than 1 5/16 since that is the biggest i have i have been using an adjustable wrench i just dont like doing that much when some of them i can barley get off by using a vice and a pipe on my adjustable wrench so it is an 1 3/8 then thanks

Fishfiles

yea i knew that the ones on the actual machine used a "special" socket i was wondering about the one on the attachments i knew they were bigger than 1 5/16 since that is the biggest i have i have been using an adjustable wrench i just dont like doing that much when some of them i can barley get off by using a vice and a pipe on my adjustable wrench so it is an 1 3/8 then thanks
I think the flat face couplers that are in the manifold block on new Bobcats are a failure for the customer and know that they are a gold mine for the dealers , as my local dealer told me since Katrina hit and demo and clean up is in progress that the quick couplers sold more than any other part , and they are not cheap the female is going for $138 -------a lot of guys don't take precautions such as the D -rings to route the hoses to the grapples or attachments and they hook the hoses on trash or the tracks and rip the quick couplers right out the manifold --------the local hydraulic shops have the flat face for the attachment end but charge more than the dealer for them , the manifold style is not avaiable aftermarket --------------did you know that there is a seal that is replaceable in the male flat face , they use to be $5.00 but I have not bought one in a while , they are really hard to get in without damaging it , and usually when they start to leak it's because the vibration and surging causes the ball bearings of the female quick coupler to make dents in the male side which makes it fit loose and the new seal don't work

bobcat_ron

I think the flat face couplers that are in the manifold block on new Bobcats are a failure for the customer and know that they are a gold mine for the dealers , as my local dealer told me since Katrina hit and demo and clean up is in progress that the quick couplers sold more than any other part , and they are not cheap the female is going for $138 -------a lot of guys don't take precautions such as the D -rings to route the hoses to the grapples or attachments and they hook the hoses on trash or the tracks and rip the quick couplers right out the manifold --------the local hydraulic shops have the flat face for the attachment end but charge more than the dealer for them , the manifold style is not avaiable aftermarket --------------did you know that there is a seal that is replaceable in the male flat face , they use to be $5.00 but I have not bought one in a while , they are really hard to get in without damaging it , and usually when they start to leak it's because the vibration and surging causes the ball bearings of the female quick coupler to make dents in the male side which makes it fit loose and the new seal don't work
I hear that, I went through 2 males and 3 females in a year with 200 plus hours of jack hammer time, I pay $120 for the female and $100 for the male, I miss that system on my CAT for the pressure relief when hooking up attachments but I also hate it for the cost of couplers.

skidsteer.ca

I hear that, I went through 2 males and 3 females in a year with 200 plus hours of jack hammer time, I pay $120 for the female and $100 for the male, I miss that system on my CAT for the pressure relief when hooking up attachments but I also hate it for the cost of couplers.
So the couplers that fit on the new manifold are not a o ring boss or any other common hyd fitting thread?
What would stop you from removing the manifolt and putting common couplers on the ends of the line like they were in the past?
What purpose does the manifold serve?
Ken

bobcat_ron

So the couplers that fit on the new manifold are not a o ring boss or any other common hyd fitting thread?
What would stop you from removing the manifolt and putting common couplers on the ends of the line like they were in the past?
What purpose does the manifold serve?
Ken
The manifold has a pressure relief system built in, when the engine is running there is always pressure between the couplers and the valve and that makes it nearly impossible to hook up the lines, all you gotta do is push on the coupler face and you'll hear a hissing sound, that pressure gets pushed in to the case drain line in the middle.
The newer style flat face couplers for the hose ends have a longer profile that has a relief system inside, but it doesn't always work and you still need to crack a fitting to blow off some pressure.

Fishfiles

The manifold has a pressure relief system built in, when the engine is running there is always pressure between the couplers and the valve and that makes it nearly impossible to hook up the lines, all you gotta do is push on the coupler face and you'll hear a hissing sound, that pressure gets pushed in to the case drain line in the middle.
The newer style flat face couplers for the hose ends have a longer profile that has a relief system inside, but it doesn't always work and you still need to crack a fitting to blow off some pressure.
Those manifold flat face quick couplers are very fragile , I think more so than the boss oring type , your right about they can still be hard to get off and on sometimes

Tazza

Staff member
Those manifold flat face quick couplers are very fragile , I think more so than the boss oring type , your right about they can still be hard to get off and on sometimes
I have a scrappie mate that has an S300 that he uses to load containers for export to China. He broke his manifold 3 times before he got them to hard wire the hoses to the bucket. They would lift the arms up outside the container and hit the top and POP the fitting just snaps off. He was lucky enough for them to fix it twice under warranty for him but they said if it does it again he will have to pay, so he got it hard wired in.
I never thought about the O rings in these fittings, must be a pain to replace. I'll stick with my *standard* fittings, their a snap to replace the O rings on.