how do you guys move a disabled beast?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

carl johansson

OK guys, I completed the engine swap - but ran into a problem throughout the process - and that is - there is no neutral - you want to move one of these things - you need to drag it everywhere! I thought after the engine and hydraulic pump were removed - I could roll it around - no such luck! (BTW - once you put the safety in place to hold the lift arms , you can't release it - I ended up opening the hydraulic line connection and lifting - that allowed me to clear and remove the safety so I could put the arms back down - but then how do you retighten the hydraulic lines?) Eventually i went and borrowed an old towing dolly off an old hooker style tow truck, used the running 763 to lift the front - placed the dolly, then went around to the back and used a chain through the tie down point and lifted the rear wheels off the ground then pulled it to where I wanted it. Fun - yeah - but there has to be an easier way! Carl johansson

pelpel

go to auto parts store and buy 4 car dollies, the ones that fit under each tire individually. This way you can get your neighbor to help you push it around.

Tazza

Staff member
go to auto parts store and buy 4 car dollies, the ones that fit under each tire individually. This way you can get your neighbor to help you push it around.
There are devices you can install into the pump to allow it to be moved but it will still be quite a job. I have found opening the 2 big hoses to the motors will allow you to drag the machine slowly but you need to disable the park brake first.

Idoitall

Pay close attention to the weight capacity of any dolly that you buy. At 2500-3500 lb., modern automobiles weigh MUCH LESS than even a mid-sized skid steer, say 6000 lb. Some may weight as much as 8000 lb. or more. You'll just tear up the ones that you may find in an auto store.

There are surely some here that have this issue and an idea what to do.

TriHonu

Pay close attention to the weight capacity of any dolly that you buy. At 2500-3500 lb., modern automobiles weigh MUCH LESS than even a mid-sized skid steer, say 6000 lb. Some may weight as much as 8000 lb. or more. You'll just tear up the ones that you may find in an auto store.

There are surely some here that have this issue and an idea what to do.
Thank God I have not had to drag one with out power yet... I asked this same question and have read my service manual from cover to cover looking for an easy way to allow the drive motors to rotate.
As Tazza stated you have to release the parking brake mechanism. After that I have found it depends upon the loader.
My brother was working on a 853C and the Service Manual states there are valves built into the Hydrostatic Pump that can be turned open with out removing the pump that will allow the fluid to free flow back to the tank. On my 763 it looks like 8 bolts to release the drive motor covers and 8 more to release the drive motors from their mounts.
I know of one guy who partially drained the chain case and removed the drive chains. This seemed a little drastic but allowed the machine to free wheel.
My dealer tells me they get as close as possible with the rollback truck, hookup the winch and just drag them on the truck.
I have a friend that has a pair of trailer house axles that are still connected by the leaf springs. 20 years ago he used to move equipment hundreds of miles by jacking it up and setting the tractor tires resting on top of the two axles. This and the equivalent of a car dolly under the front and down the road he went. I would guess today DOT would have a fit over that rig.
I guess it depends upon where the machine is located and how far you need to go and how desperate you are to move it...

OP
OP
C

carl johansson

Pel Pel, I had to move the unit about a 1/4 mile across pavement and dirt - the dollys you speak of work OK in the shop - but can't work on the open road. The tow dollys I used comes with 4 heavy duty 8 ply trailer tires and made of heavy gauge steel. I don't know their weight rating - but it held the 763 without any issues - of course it's only holding about 1/2 the weight - the tow unit has the other 1/2 suspended on a chain! carl Johansson

skidsteer.ca

Pel Pel, I had to move the unit about a 1/4 mile across pavement and dirt - the dollys you speak of work OK in the shop - but can't work on the open road. The tow dollys I used comes with 4 heavy duty 8 ply trailer tires and made of heavy gauge steel. I don't know their weight rating - but it held the 763 without any issues - of course it's only holding about 1/2 the weight - the tow unit has the other 1/2 suspended on a chain! carl Johansson
To tow it short distances with the oil drained you would still have to disable the park pin on the top side of the chaincase under the operators seat. applies to models 94 and up with bics.
Look for a round cylinder with 3 heavy wires coming out of it. Use you 7/16" wrench and unbolt the two bolts and slide it straight up. There will be a 1/2" or 5/8" round rod in the center of it. Pull it up 2 to 3 inches and put a hose clamp around it to hold it there. Now if you loosen the hoses on the drive motors or have drained enough oil out of the system it should roll.
But 1/4 mile might be to far to tow it
Ken

kelly_b

To tow it short distances with the oil drained you would still have to disable the park pin on the top side of the chaincase under the operators seat. applies to models 94 and up with bics.
Look for a round cylinder with 3 heavy wires coming out of it. Use you 7/16" wrench and unbolt the two bolts and slide it straight up. There will be a 1/2" or 5/8" round rod in the center of it. Pull it up 2 to 3 inches and put a hose clamp around it to hold it there. Now if you loosen the hoses on the drive motors or have drained enough oil out of the system it should roll.
But 1/4 mile might be to far to tow it
Ken
I found that a 1-ton turbo-diesel dually worked well. No kidding ... when you're frustrated and are pissed, that's the best tool you can have around the shop. :p

bobcat_ron

I found that a 1-ton turbo-diesel dually worked well. No kidding ... when you're frustrated and are pissed, that's the best tool you can have around the shop. :p
When my right side drive motor failed I had the dumb luck of a 40 ton crane truck on site, he was kind enough to chain all 4 corners and lift it right on the trailer for no charge. Getting it off at the dealer was not easy, a 763 couldn't even pull it down my tilt deck with out some oil under my tracks to let it slide.

A.G.

A big forklift can pick a loader. But there is never one around when you need it!

A.G.

Fishfiles

A big forklift can pick a loader. But there is never one around when you need it!

A.G.
Another way to move one is a excavtor which has a dozer blade , a 334 will move a 7 series , you put the blade under the back door and put the bom over the roof and hook the top edge of the bucket with the bucket teeth and you cn get the weight off and walk with it

BobCat

Another way to move one is a excavtor which has a dozer blade , a 334 will move a 7 series , you put the blade under the back door and put the bom over the roof and hook the top edge of the bucket with the bucket teeth and you cn get the weight off and walk with it
You know I pulled my 721 with a Dodge Ram 50 a couple of times. All I did was have the wife drive the truck and I sat on the Bobcat pushing the levers forward as if I was driving. It went down the road just fine. I wouldn't tow it very far like that. Later Bobcat.

Latest posts