Help with picking a machine

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Bute56

Hello. I am looking into buying a skid steer. Any advice is appreciated. One of my main concerns is the weight of the machine. I have been using an L170 weighing about 5500# and a 16' trailer weighing in the 2000# range. My pickup handles this load pretty well. I could shave a little weight off of this setup with a shorter trailer, maybe a 12 footer. The new holland has done everything I have asked of it so the horsepower (56?) is good. I want something with a cab. Long story short, the l170 is exactly what I need but they seem a little pricey. I can only afford to spend around $15000. What makes, models, years and hours on the clock should I be looking for. I'm in no hurry either so I can stand to wait around on a deal. Thanks alot.

earmuffs

the problem i found with the shorter trailers are getting the weight right over the axles. hence way to much tongue weight. i like my gehl 4640. 8000 hours and very little trouble. you can get in and change hoses easily, comfortable and good visibility.

OP
OP
B

Bute56

the problem i found with the shorter trailers are getting the weight right over the axles. hence way to much tongue weight. i like my gehl 4640. 8000 hours and very little trouble. you can get in and change hoses easily, comfortable and good visibility.
Thanks for the reply. I have been finding machines (mostly bobcat) in the 10,000 dollar range with 2k-3k hours on them an 88-98 year models. 46 hp. range. does that sound about right? Most of them have a few issues. Things like hydro lockout not working right, seat lockout not working right, small hydro leaks. how are these things to work on?

Tazza

Staff member
Thanks for the reply. I have been finding machines (mostly bobcat) in the 10,000 dollar range with 2k-3k hours on them an 88-98 year models. 46 hp. range. does that sound about right? Most of them have a few issues. Things like hydro lockout not working right, seat lockout not working right, small hydro leaks. how are these things to work on?
That seems a bit high for a non working machine, or one with issues. Lockouts not working is generally an easy fix, usually a seat or seat bar sensor.

Latest posts