Ford cl20 lift cylinder removal

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Wetcat

Hi yall. New member here and first post. I recently bought a Ford CL20. I'm trying to remove the right side lift cylinder to replace seals and what not on it. I've got the bucket hydraulic cylinder off as well. Both of them are extremely leaky and the bucket won't stay up even empty. I'd like to remove them and take them in for service to a place local to me. Any tips or pointers? I'll go get some pictures of it here soon.

flyerdan

Cylinders are pretty easy, and can often be done on the machine without pulling everything. That way one end is already in a vise for taking the gland end apart. You might have to crack the back fitting loose to allow air in to pull the rod. Check the cylinder bores for rust or pitting (usually at the bottom where water would set) that could tear up new seals right away. Cost to do all seals yourself shouldn't be too much, probably around $40-100 depending on your Google skills.
If you take them in for service, it's just a matter of pulling the pins and removing the lines. Block the lift arms up a bit so you have a little wiggle room to get them out and cap the exposed hose ends with some plastic bags or something to keep contaminates out.

OP
OP
W

Wetcat

Cylinders are pretty easy, and can often be done on the machine without pulling everything. That way one end is already in a vise for taking the gland end apart. You might have to crack the back fitting loose to allow air in to pull the rod. Check the cylinder bores for rust or pitting (usually at the bottom where water would set) that could tear up new seals right away. Cost to do all seals yourself shouldn't be too much, probably around $40-100 depending on your Google skills.
If you take them in for service, it's just a matter of pulling the pins and removing the lines. Block the lift arms up a bit so you have a little wiggle room to get them out and cap the exposed hose ends with some plastic bags or something to keep contaminates out.
I can't get the pins loose that hold the cylinder in place. I even took the air hammer to it and they must be rusted ot something.

Tazza

Staff member
I can't get the pins loose that hold the cylinder in place. I even took the air hammer to it and they must be rusted ot something.
You may need heat and penetrating oil on the pins, an air hammer really doesn't have the hitting power that a sledge hammer does.

flyerdan

You may need heat and penetrating oil on the pins, an air hammer really doesn't have the hitting power that a sledge hammer does.
Are the pins the typical ones that have a small bolt hodling them in from the extended boss? With the bolt out is should come out.
If it's being stubborn, what I'd do is get a big heavy C clamp and a socket, set it up with a nice preload so the clamp can start pushing the pin into the socket and give it a few bursts with the air hammer.
A lot of times if you can preload something it will rattle out; you'd tear up a clamp or puller trying to just press it, and you can hammer on it all day with no results, but combine the two and it'll give for you.

Tazza

Staff member
Are the pins the typical ones that have a small bolt hodling them in from the extended boss? With the bolt out is should come out.
If it's being stubborn, what I'd do is get a big heavy C clamp and a socket, set it up with a nice preload so the clamp can start pushing the pin into the socket and give it a few bursts with the air hammer.
A lot of times if you can preload something it will rattle out; you'd tear up a clamp or puller trying to just press it, and you can hammer on it all day with no results, but combine the two and it'll give for you.
Flyerdan makes a very good point.
I had a bucekt that refused to want to let me move it's pins. I had to cut the pin with a hacksaw, i used n air hammer and an oxy torch. I heated the boss and hit the pin with the air hammer, it was very slow, but got there in the end.
For the realy hard ones, there was a member here that setup a porta-power ram to push on a pin, with the mounting bracket welded to the frame.

Latest posts