Engine Removal Isuzu 4JB1

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Loftatsea

Good morning. I have a Bobcat 853 with a Isuzu 4JB1 engine. I need to remove the engine for a rebuild and am looking for any and all advice on this. If anyone has done this and can offer tips and tricks it would be most appreciated. On a separate note, if anyone knows of an engine like this for sale I would be interested in that as well. Thank you.

flyerdan

I moved this up to the Bobcat forum so it'll be seen by more people who might have some helpful tips.
There are a couple of 853 books in the manual thread that have detailed instructions on engine removal, you might want to get one and read up on it.

OP
OP
L

Loftatsea

I moved this up to the Bobcat forum so it'll be seen by more people who might have some helpful tips.
There are a couple of 853 books in the manual thread that have detailed instructions on engine removal, you might want to get one and read up on it.
Thank you. Much appreciated.

bobben

Thank you. Much appreciated.
I just done a engine rebuild on a 4jb1 in a 853 used a rebuild kit from china got the whole shebang valves, pistons, crank. Didn't use the liners as mine were good.It has been a couple years and everything is working great although I don't put a lot of hours on it. I took the engine out with out unhooking the hydraulics the rear engine mount is a real pain 4 bolts but it can be done other then that its just nuts and bolts

OP
OP
L

Loftatsea

I just done a engine rebuild on a 4jb1 in a 853 used a rebuild kit from china got the whole shebang valves, pistons, crank. Didn't use the liners as mine were good.It has been a couple years and everything is working great although I don't put a lot of hours on it. I took the engine out with out unhooking the hydraulics the rear engine mount is a real pain 4 bolts but it can be done other then that its just nuts and bolts
Are you a mechanic and, if so, are you in the NY/NJ area?

kinero

yes I am a mechanic but I live in western Canada
I am, too, faced with engine removal from the 853 due to an oil pan leak. The tech manual provides instructions on fabricating a special bracket used to pull the engine out of the bay. Is that bracket absolutely necessary, or can the engine be pulled without it? Any direction highly appreciated. Regards, Alex

flyerdan

I am, too, faced with engine removal from the 853 due to an oil pan leak. The tech manual provides instructions on fabricating a special bracket used to pull the engine out of the bay. Is that bracket absolutely necessary, or can the engine be pulled without it? Any direction highly appreciated. Regards, Alex
The purpose of the bracket is that the center of lift to get the engine out level is just below some welded in superstructure for the frame. Since the most common methods of pulling a mill are a shop crane or a chain fall, they need to detour that lifting force around the obstruction.
If you have a forklift, you can take off one fork and get the other one (close to centered) just above the top of the engine and chain it up short, you should get just enough lift to squeak it out. Even though I have a forklift, I'd still opt for the bracket, as using a shop crane is more precise and far easier to use without damaging anythig, especially when working alone.
If you have a Bobcat dealer close by, they might be willing to lend or rent a bracket, as they're sure to have one on hand.