Engine blew up.. I feel sick to my stomach. What now

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

dirtyb115

Today i was out using my 763 and all the sudden i heard a horrible horrible noise, i dont even know how to describe it, almost sounds like knocking, but much higher pitched, maybe a bearing or rod?? i dunno. It still runs, but i only ran it long enough to get it parked, and i took it down to very low rpms. It only has 1500 hours and i just bought it last year. Ive made sure to stay on top of everything as far as maintenance ect... Now what do i do? Will any diesel repair shop be able to work on these? I really dont think i can tackle this if it have to take the engine out.

OP
OP
D

dirtyb115

How hard are these engines to get out? I have done small 4 cylinder car engines before..

nobull1

How hard are these engines to get out? I have done small 4 cylinder car engines before..
I just had my 763 motor out last week. It was four hours to get it out and three to get it in and running. I was lucky to have a person who had done this before, but it really wasn't hard to do. We removed and installed it without a engine hoist as well. Any questions just ask away, while it is fresh in my mind.
I would probably try to get someone who has some knowledge of diesels (if you don't) to have a look and hear it before you remove it just in case it is just something like a flywheel coming loose. Actually the flywheel is something that would be easy to check. It's probably not the problem but worth checking.

OP
OP
D

dirtyb115

I just had my 763 motor out last week. It was four hours to get it out and three to get it in and running. I was lucky to have a person who had done this before, but it really wasn't hard to do. We removed and installed it without a engine hoist as well. Any questions just ask away, while it is fresh in my mind.
I would probably try to get someone who has some knowledge of diesels (if you don't) to have a look and hear it before you remove it just in case it is just something like a flywheel coming loose. Actually the flywheel is something that would be easy to check. It's probably not the problem but worth checking.
well thats good to know. i am hoping for the best, after talking with a few people, ill keep you posted.

skidsteer.ca

well thats good to know. i am hoping for the best, after talking with a few people, ill keep you posted.
It always sucks when something dies before its time, especially our beloved Kubotas.
B4 you pull the engine I'd remove the plastic cover off the flywheel and remove the main drive belt that runs all the pumps. Also lift the cab remove the v belt for the engine cooling blower. Turn the pulleys by hand and see if anything feels rough, like a bearing is piling up in the pumps or blower fan gear box. If those appear normal, I'd drain the engine oil and look for debris.
If the oil looks normal, refill it with new oil and fire it up. Now your only listening to the engine, no pumps or blower noise. If you machine is a G series or has the older Boss gauge package the hydraulic warning light will go off because removing the drive belt eliminate the hydraulic charge pressure the computers is expecting to see.
You may well know exactly where the problems lies, but I'd rule out these other areas first.
If there is such a thing as a positive note, These Kubota's are among the cheapest to rebuild, remans are @ 3200 and a new one can be had outright for @ 4k if your core is shot. With 1500 hours it should not be completely wore out and you may be able to just fix the problem area, depending on what the failure is.
Ken

Fishfiles

It always sucks when something dies before its time, especially our beloved Kubotas.
B4 you pull the engine I'd remove the plastic cover off the flywheel and remove the main drive belt that runs all the pumps. Also lift the cab remove the v belt for the engine cooling blower. Turn the pulleys by hand and see if anything feels rough, like a bearing is piling up in the pumps or blower fan gear box. If those appear normal, I'd drain the engine oil and look for debris.
If the oil looks normal, refill it with new oil and fire it up. Now your only listening to the engine, no pumps or blower noise. If you machine is a G series or has the older Boss gauge package the hydraulic warning light will go off because removing the drive belt eliminate the hydraulic charge pressure the computers is expecting to see.
You may well know exactly where the problems lies, but I'd rule out these other areas first.
If there is such a thing as a positive note, These Kubota's are among the cheapest to rebuild, remans are @ 3200 and a new one can be had outright for @ 4k if your core is shot. With 1500 hours it should not be completely wore out and you may be able to just fix the problem area, depending on what the failure is.
Ken
I like Ken's advice to you , which fits my philosify of mechanical troubleshotting , isolate and eliminate to evaluate

OP
OP
D

dirtyb115

I like Ken's advice to you , which fits my philosify of mechanical troubleshotting , isolate and eliminate to evaluate
Thanks guys. When i posted yesterday i was pretty upset and was thinking the worst. I had another listen, and it really sounds like it might be coming from the fan area. (hope so, im holding by breath.). ill remove the belts and see what happens.

carl johansson

Thanks guys. When i posted yesterday i was pretty upset and was thinking the worst. I had another listen, and it really sounds like it might be coming from the fan area. (hope so, im holding by breath.). ill remove the belts and see what happens.
If you ever do have to pull the engine: Bobcat has a drawing in the FSM of a square C contraption that hooks onto a cherry picker and a chain over the engine, makes pulling the engine a snap. First time I pulled an engine - it took me all day - now i can do it an a couple of hours. basically disconnect the electrical , all the belts, the hydraulics are the PITA, hard to get to and slippery - thats the monkey job - crawling in there and doing the hydro lines. Make sure you Mark both sides to make install easier ( I just punched mine - but a sharpie works well also. . And when you put the engine back in - make sure you hook up the 1 hydraulic line going to the back of the pump early on - before you bolt in the engine/pump cradle! Carl Johansson - just finished this last weekend - built up a 763 for my brother!

OP
OP
D

dirtyb115

If you ever do have to pull the engine: Bobcat has a drawing in the FSM of a square C contraption that hooks onto a cherry picker and a chain over the engine, makes pulling the engine a snap. First time I pulled an engine - it took me all day - now i can do it an a couple of hours. basically disconnect the electrical , all the belts, the hydraulics are the PITA, hard to get to and slippery - thats the monkey job - crawling in there and doing the hydro lines. Make sure you Mark both sides to make install easier ( I just punched mine - but a sharpie works well also. . And when you put the engine back in - make sure you hook up the 1 hydraulic line going to the back of the pump early on - before you bolt in the engine/pump cradle! Carl Johansson - just finished this last weekend - built up a 763 for my brother!
Finally got the skidsteer home to look at it this last weekend. I took the belt off that runs the fan gearbox, and noise went away. The shaft has a lot of play back and forth (not side to side), and someone told me that it should be tight so the gears are prolly trashed. So... I found these on a quick online search
http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?Item=13-1422&UID=2008032207121478
This price pretty good? Can anyone that has take one of these out tell me what all is involved as i still dont have my manual. (should be here next week.) Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

skidsteer.ca

Finally got the skidsteer home to look at it this last weekend. I took the belt off that runs the fan gearbox, and noise went away. The shaft has a lot of play back and forth (not side to side), and someone told me that it should be tight so the gears are prolly trashed. So... I found these on a quick online search
http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?Item=13-1422&UID=2008032207121478
This price pretty good? Can anyone that has take one of these out tell me what all is involved as i still dont have my manual. (should be here next week.) Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
Good to hear your troubles are smaller then you thought. Yes thats a good price. I have never changed one of these but it should be pretty straight forward. I think you wil have to remove the blower ductwork from the machine to get the fan off the shaft. But if you can figure out a way to get the nut loose that holds the fan on, pehaps you can avoid this. The rest should be straight forward.
Ken

Latest posts