Where to look up info about my bobcat 743 and drive chain question?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

mograine

Hello y'all!

I recently bought a used bobcat 743, and want to find out more about the specific model. Where can i plug in the serial# online? I believe it's a European made bobcat as i'm located in Europe.

And my second question is about the drive chains. They have some slack and according to the mechanic they are worn out. What's the risk of continuing to drive with these worn chains?

Cheers!

brdgbldr

Here is the link to the parts manual:

That should answer a lot of your questions on access.

As for the worn out chains, they will make a slapping noise on the chain case and they could end up stripping your sprockets.

mocus250

If chain breaks or jumps off sprocket they cans do a lot of damage binding up inside the case and could
cost more to fix. I replaced my chains when I started hearing a popping noise like the chan trying to jump off sprocket. It would happen right after making quick pivot then going forward before you completed the turn. it was weight of chain slopping around on bottom of sprockets from the inertia of the turn.

oiu789

Depending on the amount of slack in the chain a 1/2 link might be able to be installed. If you will be using it heavily replace the chains with good quality chain. New chain on warren sprockets does not work that well. Its like miss matched gears. Check the ware on the sprockets.

brdgbldr

How can I access the drive chains on my bobcat 743 to see how much wear has occurred over the years?
There are two access covers on top of the chain case. The on in the front is easy to access. The one in the back is much harder.

You should be able to inspect most from the front cover with a good flashlight and an inspection mirror.

oiu789

Just jack up one side an try to rotate the front wheel back and forth and then the back wheel and since the free play in the chains there should be some. but not to much I think the manual tells you or ask here. The amount of slack will depend on the # of hrs. how hard of work it had been doing and if the oil was well maintained. Do this to both sides. This will save you from opening up the chain case.

jp8775

Do I need to remove the whole top cover and pump assembly to relace axel seals on a 743? Its not a 743B so the hubs do not come off the axels. Any short cuts that may make this easier.

harold duren

For an older bobcat 743 (early 1980s) that has not been used excessively, could I use a thicker drive case oil instead of the 10W40 such as a 15W50?

brdgbldr

For an older bobcat 743 (early 1980s) that has not been used excessively, could I use a thicker drive case oil instead of the 10W40 such as a 15W50?
The chain case is just an oil bath so any good oil will work in it. The weight of the oil isn't really a factor unless it is super thin or super thick. The chains and sprockets just slop it arround to all of the parts.

Most of us actually use the oil we replace from the hydraulic system in the chain case since it has been filtered, as long as there is no water in it.

Old_853

Do I need to remove the whole top cover and pump assembly to relace axel seals on a 743? Its not a 743B so the hubs do not come off the axels. Any short cuts that may make this easier.
Yes, remove the covers and axle bolts, then use a bottle jack between the frame and hub to pop the inner bearing off and remove the axle.

Latest posts