Dumb question about hydraulic lines.

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Jyuma

Even dumb questions can sometimes give you fits of frustration... here's mine.
My Thomas parts manual specifies two different part numbers for the "Boom Tilt" hydraulic hose and the "PTO" hydraulic hose. Both parts come with a description... one is 17.5" long and the other is 17.75" long. WHAT? Two hydraulic hoses that are identical in every way except one is 250 thousandths of an inch (6.3mm) longer and that merits a separate part number?
Now for the kicker... I took the lines off the loader and measured them. They both measure 18.5".
emotion-8.gif
Other than cosmetic dressing and routing concerns over chaffing... does it really matter if the lines are a few inches longer? I've got lines going to the backhoe that are several feet long and they don't present any problem.
I found a stock hydraulic hose at Grainger Industrial Supply (local) that matches the specs on the hose but they come in 15" and 24" lengths. I figure the 15" might be a bit too short causing a sharp radius bend in the hose when the bucket is down but the 24" should work... even if I loop it once it will remain within the bend radius spec (2.5"). And as a added bonus the same hose is used for the boom lift cylinders and that length actually is 24" so one hose size (one stock item) would fit everything.
Wadaya think?

skidsteer.ca

No harm in it being longer so long as it does not jamb or rub on something and wear a hole in itself. Undo one end of you old hoe, move it back a few inches and see how it looks.
Ken