Thomas hydraulic motors

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

TRPalmatier

Looking for anybody who knows if the hydraulic motors from a Thomas 1200 can be used as hydraulic pumps. For example as a log splitter pump. I have a hobby job at the local Recycler and someone brought in a Thomas 1200, (as best I can guest base on gas tank location, bolt pattern on the wheels, final drive covers and reservoir location). I was hoping to use the actual variable pumps but one was frozen and the other's input shaft was severed. The auxiliary pump had both the inlet and outlet fitting ripped from the pump housing. Only thing left are the final drive assemblies and what appears to be the relief/proportioning valve(?). Hydraulic tank, gas tanks, transfer case between the engine and the 3 pumps. The engine looks as though someone started to replace the cam as that cover is missing and expose to the elements. And of course the drive motors, I mentioned.

Tazza

Staff member
Honestly, if you can get them at the right price, see if you can sell them, they would be worth more than a hydraulic pump (surplus centre is a good source of cheap pumps). Even if you didn't sell them, use them at a hydraulic motor for something.
I believe motors can be spun to work as a pump, but the only issue i'd have with trying it is the speed you'd need to rotate it. Most motors are not made to rotate very fast, vs a pump that is made to do 2,000 or more RPM.