Drive motor brake will not disengage

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

dfriend1

Hello, new to this forum because I have ISSUES. lol I put a used drive motor on my T250, went from a short nose to a long nose, so I had to change out the sprocket, every thing lined up perfectly, but now the brake won't disengage. Anyone smarter then me have any ideas on what may be the cause?

antfarmer2

Does it have a brake soliniod I would check that loose wires and clean any fuses and relays and seat and belt switches if they apply

OP
OP
D

dfriend1

Does it have a brake soliniod I would check that loose wires and clean any fuses and relays and seat and belt switches if they apply
Thanks for responding, I feel like I blew a truck tire in downtown Dallas during rush hour....without a spare! Stuck. There was never a problem with the brake releasing before I made the swap, but I will test what I can on the electrical side just to make sure. Is there anyway to manually bypass the brake mechanism in the meantime or is my machine dead where it sits until I figure this out.

antfarmer2

Thanks for responding, I feel like I blew a truck tire in downtown Dallas during rush hour....without a spare! Stuck. There was never a problem with the brake releasing before I made the swap, but I will test what I can on the electrical side just to make sure. Is there anyway to manually bypass the brake mechanism in the meantime or is my machine dead where it sits until I figure this out.
I don't know the skid I have a 743 bobcat just guessing till someone that knows but you might have knocked something loose might be able to jump the brake soliniod......If you broke down in Fortworth I could come help but I don't do Dallas

antfarmer2

I don't know the skid I have a 743 bobcat just guessing till someone that knows but you might have knocked something loose might be able to jump the brake soliniod......If you broke down in Fortworth I could come help but I don't do Dallas
Any lights or codes?

OP
OP
D

dfriend1

Any lights or codes?
Ha Ha! Me either! Spent most of my life around Austin, which might be just a wee bit worse than Dallas. No, no lights, no codes. I am going to go back through it tomorrow and check for some electrical failure like you suggested, and if no one can give me a better idea, I guess I am pulling that sucker off and throwing it on the bench. Not looking forward to that.

antfarmer2

Ha Ha! Me either! Spent most of my life around Austin, which might be just a wee bit worse than Dallas. No, no lights, no codes. I am going to go back through it tomorrow and check for some electrical failure like you suggested, and if no one can give me a better idea, I guess I am pulling that sucker off and throwing it on the bench. Not looking forward to that.
If it was fine I would look for something you bumped into or safety switch hopefully some one smarter than us will come along

Tazza

Staff member
If it was fine I would look for something you bumped into or safety switch hopefully some one smarter than us will come along
Yours is a tracked machine, the brake is part of the drive motor..... It could be multiple things, is it one or both sides having the issue?
Motor failure can be one, the other is pilot pressure that is needed to disengage the brake. It could be the solenoid for this too.

OP
OP
D

dfriend1

Yours is a tracked machine, the brake is part of the drive motor..... It could be multiple things, is it one or both sides having the issue?
Motor failure can be one, the other is pilot pressure that is needed to disengage the brake. It could be the solenoid for this too.
Hey Tazza! Thanks for the response, I thought my post had already gone to the boneyard. Its just on the side that I replaced the motor. After I made the swap, I tested it out on the stands. But when I started driving it out of the shop, it started yanking like the brake was hanging up. Not constantly, but pretty regular.

OldMachinist

Hey Tazza! Thanks for the response, I thought my post had already gone to the boneyard. Its just on the side that I replaced the motor. After I made the swap, I tested it out on the stands. But when I started driving it out of the shop, it started yanking like the brake was hanging up. Not constantly, but pretty regular.
There are filter screens on the brake solenoid valve. There may be some debris from the old motor clogging them.
 photo BrakeSolenoidScreens_zpsf035b1e5.jpg

OP
OP
D

dfriend1

There are filter screens on the brake solenoid valve. There may be some debris from the old motor clogging them.
Thank you OM, The stuttering is what was confusing me, a clogged filter makes perfect sense. Any tricks for flushing out any other debris if I find a clogged filter?

OP
OP
D

dfriend1

Thank you OM, The stuttering is what was confusing me, a clogged filter makes perfect sense. Any tricks for flushing out any other debris if I find a clogged filter?
Old Mechanic, would you mind sharing what page that photo came from. I am looking through my service manual and can't find the specifics on the brake solenoid. My manual is the service T250 523011001 and above

OP
OP
D

dfriend1

Old Mechanic, would you mind sharing what page that photo came from. I am looking through my service manual and can't find the specifics on the brake solenoid. My manual is the service T250 523011001 and above
I found it, I didn't bother to look in drive system, I was looking in the motor section.