632 bobcat will not start, Carburetor not letting the gas in.

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

gjstarr

Hello, my Bobcat friends. I have a 632 Bobcat with the 1.6 Ford gas motor. I was plowing snow and it was running great, all of a sudden it stopped as if it ran out of gas. I checked the fuel and spark. I have a full tank of gas and plenty of spark. If I spray gas into the carb, it will take off and run until i stop spraying the gas in. I was thinking fuel pump, but none was available so I switched it over to electric. I have fuel to the carb but it seems like it is not going through at all. I suppose the needle and seat can stick shut but I never seen that happen while an engine was running. I got a carb kit and going to take it apart tomorrow but wanted to see if anyone else had this happen and what the issue was. Any helpful suggestions are appreciated.

laurencen

sounds like the float or needle has stuck, today if water was in a carb it would freeze solid

OP
OP
G

gjstarr

sounds like the float or needle has stuck, today if water was in a carb it would freeze solid
I would normally agree, but in this case, the machine was running for a few hours before this happened. so the motor and surroundings were warm, way above freezing. Plus , I keep plenty of heat in the gas just to make sure. I do appreciate the response though.

foton

some of those heet type products are pretty hard on rubber parts ,I would watch the level you use it at or you will be in that carb alot. Some of that stuff attracts water too, which is not good if the fuel is not used up very fast. might want to pull off a sample in a glass jar and let it sit a min. to see if there is any seperation of water and gas in the jar.

ZekeSkyree

I have a 642 with the same Ford motor. There is a solenoid on the carb that may be your issue. It needs 12 volts. If the wiring has an issue it might give you the issue you are seeing. The solenoid is between the block and carb and is easiest to check by pulling the carb off. Hope this helps...

OP
OP
G

gjstarr

Ok, this does have the solenoid. What a bad place to put it. I have current to the solenoid but it is dead. Does anyone see any issues with cutting the rod? I dought that anyone will have this.

ZekeSkyree

The part number is 6555915 and will cost you about $150. Bobcat no longer stocks them. Since you have an upstream shutoff solenoid, you should be ok cutting the rod. I always thought that having the two shutoffs was overkill. Let me know how it goes...

OP
OP
G

gjstarr

I called my local Bobcat dealer and he said there wasn't any to be found so I cut the rod and put everything back together and it runs great. I would have never seen it in the back tords the block. Thank you very much for your help.

LazyKG

I have had this same problem with my 732, the shutoff solenoid on the carb was sticking (and still does, on occasion). Stuck shut, no gas; stuck open, flooding. A good cleaning is all it takes to correct.

dfb

My 742B with the Mitsubishi motor had the shut off in the carb and got eliminated years ago. Last year I reinstalled an aftermarket shut off as the fuel in the tank{higher than the carb} was leaking overnight and I had a strong smell of gas in the shop each morning after bringing the machine in for the night. It was also explained to me that during transport the float can get knocked around and with the fuel level higher than the carb it is possible for a bunch to get into the motor. The gas of today evaporates very quickly, as it leaves the carb for what ever reason, if the fuel in the tank is higher it will keep replacing it. The fuel smell issues in my shop ended after installing the shut off. Installing another is worth considering. The one I used is on Amazon for $39.99 and is called a Gasoline Fuel Lock Off Valve 12 volt.

OP
OP
G

gjstarr

Yes I agree for long term it will be best to replace it. Of course, I'm sure most folks that have a Bobcat (or any kind of skidsteer) will agree that you need it now and can't wait to find suitable aftermarket parts that actually fit. So for short term I went ahead and cut the rod off and will shut the the gas valve off after use or during transport until I find one. With that said, if anyone has a part number for the fuel shut-off solenoid for a 632 with the 1.6 Ford gas motor, please share.

OP
OP
G

gjstarr

ZekeSkyree, you wouldn't happen to have a part number for the Exhaust Manifold Gasket, would you? Looks like I need one of them too. Or if anyone else happens to have it. this is the 1.6 Ford Industrial gas motor.

Latest posts