Do you perform your own service or take it to a mechanic?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

dougk

I perform the service on all of my equipment. My rational is that the time it takes me to take it in and pick it up I can typically perform the service. Most mechanics are at least an hour away. My question is do you do your own service and how long does it take? How much do you spend for filters and fluids? thanks Doug

m610

I do everything myself. In fact two of my machines have been totally disassembled and reassembled by me. Filters and fluids will take me 2 hours on most machines as I will pressure clean the machine first, and inspect everything. Probably spend 25.00 for the hydraulic filter, 3-4 dollars for engine oil filter, 50 or 60 dollars for hydraulic oil, chaincase oil I already have in quantity and the fuel filters are usually generic replacements for 5-10 dollars.

pondfishr

I do everything myself. In fact two of my machines have been totally disassembled and reassembled by me. Filters and fluids will take me 2 hours on most machines as I will pressure clean the machine first, and inspect everything. Probably spend 25.00 for the hydraulic filter, 3-4 dollars for engine oil filter, 50 or 60 dollars for hydraulic oil, chaincase oil I already have in quantity and the fuel filters are usually generic replacements for 5-10 dollars.
I own a 743 and fluid changes and all minor repairs are done by me. If it is a big job I still tackle the repair but I will enlist help from a mechanic friend. We have worked on the fuel system, replaced axle seals, and rebuilt hydraulic cylinders. I have owned my machine for 5 years and it has never been to the dealer. Due to the fact it is relatively simple to work on and is past the age for dealer visits.

Tazza

Staff member
I own a 743 and fluid changes and all minor repairs are done by me. If it is a big job I still tackle the repair but I will enlist help from a mechanic friend. We have worked on the fuel system, replaced axle seals, and rebuilt hydraulic cylinders. I have owned my machine for 5 years and it has never been to the dealer. Due to the fact it is relatively simple to work on and is past the age for dealer visits.
I do all my own repairs too, its really not THAT hard. The later model machines can need to go for a visit to get the computer programmed, but thankfully i have not needed that doing... YET

Iowa Dave

I do all my own repairs too, its really not THAT hard. The later model machines can need to go for a visit to get the computer programmed, but thankfully i have not needed that doing... YET
A system that works for me is to take machines in for an annual inspection and software update, but not to authorize fixing most of what is found. They almost always find something I would have missed, and I get the benefit of the software updates as well. I then bring machines home and work through the list I have been given. I used my machines for my livelihood, and breakdowns cost TIME, and time is money. So for a couple of hundred a machine, I have them thoroughly gone over, and then I do most of the work. A good, inexpensive compromise that assures me the season will go smoothly. Once in maybe every third year or so they find something needing immediate attention that I don't want to tackle, and then I might spend $700-1000--but I can make that back up in a day's work, AND my machine is good to go for all season. I would never spend my money on paying for fluid changes, case drain filter work, new belts/hoses, replacing belt tensioners, alternators, etc, etc. I can do those things myself.

bobbie-g

A system that works for me is to take machines in for an annual inspection and software update, but not to authorize fixing most of what is found. They almost always find something I would have missed, and I get the benefit of the software updates as well. I then bring machines home and work through the list I have been given. I used my machines for my livelihood, and breakdowns cost TIME, and time is money. So for a couple of hundred a machine, I have them thoroughly gone over, and then I do most of the work. A good, inexpensive compromise that assures me the season will go smoothly. Once in maybe every third year or so they find something needing immediate attention that I don't want to tackle, and then I might spend $700-1000--but I can make that back up in a day's work, AND my machine is good to go for all season. I would never spend my money on paying for fluid changes, case drain filter work, new belts/hoses, replacing belt tensioners, alternators, etc, etc. I can do those things myself.
I think Iowa Dave has a good idea. Get an eval from the (we hope) experts, then decide what you can do yourself and what should be done at the Bobcat shop. I've done almost all the work on my 751 myself, except replace the injector pump, and replace the fuel pickup tube. It's a bit tricky finding and then actually touching some of the parts, but so far I've been able to do most all of it. Slow, and harder when I have to learn as I go, but I can be as meticulous as I want in doing the stuff. For example, rerouting some hoses so they're not so close to the exhaust pipe. This forum is an excellent source of info on much of the things that we amateurs can do ourselves. This winter it has worked out that I've done much of the longer term maintenance now so it doesn't have to be done during the summer when I should be using the machines instead of working on them. I also do a lot of preventive maintenance, so I'm replacing belts and hoses on my schedule and in my shop, not out in the field when something pops unexpectedly. I'd much rather replace a drive belt in the shop more often than needed, than have to replace it on a slope way down in a gulley. Cheap insurance, in my opinion. :) ---RC