How do I know if it uses emissions crap?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

spazatak

I spent some time researching trucks before I bought my 12 valve.. I'm looking for a skid steer that's similar..

What year did the epa start to require skid steer diesel engines to use emissions controls? Were certain tiers still acceptable?

Thanks!

Old_853

2008 on are tier 4 "interim", 2014 on are tier 4 "final". If you're a caveman like me get an old one and fix it up.

brdgbldr

I'v been told that if a machine is under a certain horsepower it does not have to have a DEF system. I can't remember what the number was.

mrbb

I'v been told that if a machine is under a certain horsepower it does not have to have a DEF system. I can't remember what the number was.
I believe its under 75 HP, before they need to add emission DEF to things
BUT then again, many other emissions systems are out there that do NOT use DEF fluid, but are still emission regulated and have other types of systems to meet the EPA's demands
so just cause something doesn't use DEF fluid, doesn't mean its not restricted or?? burdened with emissions crap!

OP
OP
S

spazatak

you are correct over 75 is def ,that is why there is so many equipment manf.s that have a 74 hp machines.
I guess I was looking for a year, like 1997 is when the epa started requiring egr's on trucks I think?

Boy, lets recirculate exhaust gas back into our intakes, and then put vanes in the turbo to get all sooted up!

Idiots

Gearclash

Instead of DEF, these smaller HP engines are using cooled EGR to meet emissions which IMO is even dumber than DEF. And either way they will be burdened with a DPF.

I don't even want Tier 3 stuff let alone Tier 4.

Phil314

I guess I was looking for a year, like 1997 is when the epa started requiring egr's on trucks I think?

Boy, lets recirculate exhaust gas back into our intakes, and then put vanes in the turbo to get all sooted up!

Idiots
It goes by engine hp & year. Over 75hp were the first to get emissions.

2014 is the year most mid sized skid (50 to 75 hp) steers went to full Tier 4 emissions (def, dpf).
It is the exact reason I bough a 2013 S650 (interim T4).

Last edited:

JohnLX565

Idiots
I agree with SPAZATAK --- Def is a better alternative than putting tons of exhaust gases back through the engine !

OP
OP
S

spazatak

I agree with SPAZATAK --- Def is a better alternative than putting tons of exhaust gases back through the engine !
Maybe, but I would prefer none of the above.. We don't need the government tellin us we pollute and the cows fart to much..

Latest posts