DIY stump bucket

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

perry

I picked up the attachment plate at richie brothers and the 3/8 steel pipe at the local slavage yard, it weighs 400 lbs. I will have enought pipe left over to make another one. I still need to get the teeth and do some welding. Any suggestions on the best way to add gussets?, I plan on cutting some big ones.
Thanks

003.jpg

[ing]http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u253/perrynboo/002.jpg[/IMG]

Bandit1047

It will look similar to this but more beefy.
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u253/perrynboo/stumpbucket.jpg
I would take a piece of rectangular plate as thick as you can get; 1/2 or 5/8 and cut it into a wedge, (accross from the two farthest corners) I would weld that in the center bottom of the spade with the highest portion against the quick attach plate and the taper leading out the spade. I would then weld shorter but taller wedges along each side with the tallest side against the quick attach plate. Weld those at about 30 degrees off the center wedge on each side. This would provide a great deal of support against the down force applied to remove stumps. Joe

OP
OP
P

perry

I would take a piece of rectangular plate as thick as you can get; 1/2 or 5/8 and cut it into a wedge, (accross from the two farthest corners) I would weld that in the center bottom of the spade with the highest portion against the quick attach plate and the taper leading out the spade. I would then weld shorter but taller wedges along each side with the tallest side against the quick attach plate. Weld those at about 30 degrees off the center wedge on each side. This would provide a great deal of support against the down force applied to remove stumps. Joe
Yeah!, I'm looking for strength, enought to lift the back of the BC.

Thanks

sterlclan

Yeah!, I'm looking for strength, enought to lift the back of the BC.

Thanks
be sure to put enough forward tilt on the plate or the stumps will fall out of the bucket and check the clearance on the bottom don't want to bottom out with the arms down...My 2c.....Jeff

OP
OP
P

perry

be sure to put enough forward tilt on the plate or the stumps will fall out of the bucket and check the clearance on the bottom don't want to bottom out with the arms down...My 2c.....Jeff
Thanks for the tilt tip. With a blank attachment on my BC and the arms down, it doesn't touch the ground, That should be a good guide, correct?.

sterlclan

Thanks for the tilt tip. With a blank attachment on my BC and the arms down, it doesn't touch the ground, That should be a good guide, correct?.
yup just check that when tilted up all the way the bottom of the bucket (the back edge where it attaches to the plate)has plenty of clearance. after loading a stump/rock mine will hit there on uneven ground.......I may cut the bottom/back on an angle like my "standard"bucket..there are pics in the media section showing the angle I used
http://www.skidsteerforum.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=52&gallerypage=0&path=Root%20bucket%202
the only other thing I have changed is I cut a half/quarter circle in the top edges of the side plates to get a skinnier profile at the end of the bucket so as not to have as much drag on the sides way better for getting under the root ball let us see pics.....Jeff

OP
OP
P

perry

yup just check that when tilted up all the way the bottom of the bucket (the back edge where it attaches to the plate)has plenty of clearance. after loading a stump/rock mine will hit there on uneven ground.......I may cut the bottom/back on an angle like my "standard"bucket..there are pics in the media section showing the angle I used
http://www.skidsteerforum.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=52&gallerypage=0&path=Root%20bucket%202
the only other thing I have changed is I cut a half/quarter circle in the top edges of the side plates to get a skinnier profile at the end of the bucket so as not to have as much drag on the sides way better for getting under the root ball let us see pics.....Jeff
I will, thanks for the assistance.