how to remove hard asphalt from a bucket

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

mrbb

anyone have any tricks on how to get asphalt out of a skid steer bucket?? I got a free load of top coat HOT asphalt, 20 tons I was adding oil to bucket to keep it out while I moved it and put down on a old road/drive way! but last few bucket loads it stuck pretty good and now have about 350 lbs of it in bucket I cannot get out, tried, a high pressure washer(3000psi) and no go its been in bucket for about 4 hours now>> any tricks or-tips on how to get it out??

flyerdan

A needle scaler works good for getting concrete out of a bucket, but asphalt probably won't break up as well; it's sticky like biscuit dough.
I would probably make a 6" wide or so scraper on a .401 shank chisel and use an air hammer to peel it out. Harbor Freight has the air hammer kit for around $9.00, so it's not that big of an investment. They might even have a pre-made scraper for it, saving you fabbing one up. At any rate, get some good ear plugs, they are noisy beasts.

OP
OP
M

mrbb

A needle scaler works good for getting concrete out of a bucket, but asphalt probably won't break up as well; it's sticky like biscuit dough.
I would probably make a 6" wide or so scraper on a .401 shank chisel and use an air hammer to peel it out. Harbor Freight has the air hammer kit for around $9.00, so it's not that big of an investment. They might even have a pre-made scraper for it, saving you fabbing one up. At any rate, get some good ear plugs, they are noisy beasts.
thanks I was thinking abouta air chisel too, but that sounds like a lot of work, and my bad back, might not like ot?? I'm going to try building a fire, and setting bucket(off machine) over it and see if I can heat it back up enough so it comes off to a shovel or?? have it soaking now with diesel fuel and will for a few days till I get to have time to make a pit and a fire(gather wood too)

OP
OP
M

mrbb

thanks I was thinking abouta air chisel too, but that sounds like a lot of work, and my bad back, might not like ot?? I'm going to try building a fire, and setting bucket(off machine) over it and see if I can heat it back up enough so it comes off to a shovel or?? have it soaking now with diesel fuel and will for a few days till I get to have time to make a pit and a fire(gather wood too)
for a follow up, I went and borrowed a propane torch off a buddy, , and got home and it started raining I tried heating bucket from the bottom(bucket of machine and tilted almost straight down) and tried just heating bottom and sides, but wasn't seeming to want to budge the stuff at all, and not getting soft enough to scrape at it witha shovel so, then just tilted bucket on some blocks(off machine) much less of a angle almost flat like! and heated things from top down to bucket, and then kept getting it all hot and gooey and scraped at it with a flat headed shovel took me about an hour and used about 8 lbs out of a new 20 lb tank of propane, but bucket is now as good as it ever was , clean like, so all good I did order myself a torch in case ever need it again, worth the 30 bucks it will cost me to just have on hand! so, all is good, again!

Tazza

Staff member
for a follow up, I went and borrowed a propane torch off a buddy, , and got home and it started raining I tried heating bucket from the bottom(bucket of machine and tilted almost straight down) and tried just heating bottom and sides, but wasn't seeming to want to budge the stuff at all, and not getting soft enough to scrape at it witha shovel so, then just tilted bucket on some blocks(off machine) much less of a angle almost flat like! and heated things from top down to bucket, and then kept getting it all hot and gooey and scraped at it with a flat headed shovel took me about an hour and used about 8 lbs out of a new 20 lb tank of propane, but bucket is now as good as it ever was , clean like, so all good I did order myself a torch in case ever need it again, worth the 30 bucks it will cost me to just have on hand! so, all is good, again!
That is exactly what i was going to suggest, see if you could warm it up enough to get it to release it's grip. Glad it wasn't too much of a struggle to get it cleaned out.