Cleaning Old Grease From Pivot Points

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Zeigh

What do most of you clean excess and old grease from the various pivot points with? I just purchased a 2012 Cat 262C2 and had a full service done on it with the sale. I have completed a couple of grease service intervals since. Living in Arizona, the dirt/dust is heavy, causing the area around the grease points to be covered with a thick excess. My goal is to take an old toothbrush and remove that buildup and ideally would like to use some sort of solvent. What would be compatible (just in case some of it got into the Zerk fitting or pin seals)? Peace, Dr. Z.

Tazza

Staff member
I have never heard of any easy ways to do it, I generally try and use rags to get most of it, then a pressure washer for the rest. Is issues is, the pressure washer just pushes it around so it sticks on something else....

flyerdan

I have never heard of any easy ways to do it, I generally try and use rags to get most of it, then a pressure washer for the rest. Is issues is, the pressure washer just pushes it around so it sticks on something else....
An old toothbrush might not be substantial enough for hardened grease. I get brushes from the dollar store to scrub potatoes, when they are worn enough to be ineffective they go to the shop. They might be a little big for some areas, Harbor Freight has 3 packs of small brushes that are about 25% bigger than a toothbrush in brass, stainless and nylon bristle. They also have gallon jugs of degreaser which works pretty well if you don't have a parts washer that you can dip a can of old school Stoddard solvent out of for scrubbing help.

MWD

An old toothbrush might not be substantial enough for hardened grease. I get brushes from the dollar store to scrub potatoes, when they are worn enough to be ineffective they go to the shop. They might be a little big for some areas, Harbor Freight has 3 packs of small brushes that are about 25% bigger than a toothbrush in brass, stainless and nylon bristle. They also have gallon jugs of degreaser which works pretty well if you don't have a parts washer that you can dip a can of old school Stoddard solvent out of for scrubbing help.
Hi, I just use rags (like a T shirt or a sock they are better than a paper rag) and a scraper to get the big stuff off. I then use gas or diesel in a spray bottle and rags again. I hope this helps.