Charger, and all. My LS 160 is allergic to cold.

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

skidsteer.ca

I pluged my loader in for 2 1/2 hours around noon today and went to start is and again I had trouble with the starter staying engage. It just keep cranking for 7 or 8 seconds after letting go of the key.
I now the batt is getting down (its original) after the glow plugs cycled it cranked good for about 5 seconds then began to slow down. So I let the key go but it just kept trying to turn the engine. So I got the pickup to jump it and now the engine is wirlling fast ad slowly gaining speed to the point where it is running, so I let go of the key but it sounds funny, so I turned it off and the starter is still trying to crank.
I go thru this start and shut of procedure 4 more times b4 it sounds normal and its not cranking when I turn it off.
So now I start it and have it running around 1200 and 10 to 15 seconds into the run, the engine oil light comes on and its beeping at me. So I shut it off again. Pull the dipstick out and its full, the oil is thick (its still @ 0 f was -20 overnite) but it will drip off the dip stick, looks about like 10/30 should for the temp. (what previous owner said was in it,guess I should change it but its perfectly clean)
So I start it again and same thing, lite on around 10 seconds after start.
So I tarped it up and through a infered heater under it for about 2 hours the it started great and acted normal. So I guess I'll park it in the shop for now
Is there something in the starter design that can cause this sort of trouble when its cold out?
I see in my manual where the oil pressure switch is up by the valve cover and how it and the top end of the motor gets it oil through that thin little steel line from the main oil gallery.
Do you find that 0/30 oil is a must?, or do you think that there is something wrong with my sender?
Now that i know where it is I can begin to test. (was thinking of adding a pressure guage, with a T at the sender.
Thanks
Ken

Tazza

Staff member
Ken, my re-built 743 had the same starting problem. I would start it and the starter would keep spinning. I had installed new relays for the glow and start. 1 was sticky, it was brand new! you may want to change the starter relay just to be sure. I couldn't shut the machine down, the starter just kept cranking!!!! i had to jump out and remove a lead from the battery.
Hopefully its just the relay and not the solenoid on the starter.

OP
OP
skidsteer.ca

skidsteer.ca

Ken, my re-built 743 had the same starting problem. I would start it and the starter would keep spinning. I had installed new relays for the glow and start. 1 was sticky, it was brand new! you may want to change the starter relay just to be sure. I couldn't shut the machine down, the starter just kept cranking!!!! i had to jump out and remove a lead from the battery.
Hopefully its just the relay and not the solenoid on the starter.
Tazza
Strange part is it always has quit after 8 or 10 second. But does it when cold so could be relay as a result of the high amp draw. Seems more like a electric feedback or ???
Ken

Tazza

Staff member
Tazza
Strange part is it always has quit after 8 or 10 second. But does it when cold so could be relay as a result of the high amp draw. Seems more like a electric feedback or ???
Ken
Strange... mine would work perfect most of the time, but some times it would just hold, it never did it for a set time, but a good whack to the solenoid would make it let go.
Its a mystery to me i'm afraid....

charger

Strange... mine would work perfect most of the time, but some times it would just hold, it never did it for a set time, but a good whack to the solenoid would make it let go.
Its a mystery to me i'm afraid....
starter solenoid might be sticking,moisture can sometimes get into there and cause all kinds of grief,it dosent happen verry frequently but we did have one here last week that did the same thing,put a new starter and the way she went! as for the oil if your leaving it outside i would recommend 0w40 engine oil,i`m running 10w30 in mine but its always inside a heated shop.

OP
OP
skidsteer.ca

skidsteer.ca

starter solenoid might be sticking,moisture can sometimes get into there and cause all kinds of grief,it dosent happen verry frequently but we did have one here last week that did the same thing,put a new starter and the way she went! as for the oil if your leaving it outside i would recommend 0w40 engine oil,i`m running 10w30 in mine but its always inside a heated shop.
Well today we removed the quick attach from the loader arms and put a washer on each side of it to shim the side to side play out.
Then we removed the alternator, the belt was not aligned properly with the crank and water pump, so we slotted the mount holes and made adjustment there.
So while I was at it I pulled the starter. It is a Nippon Denso, the type with the solinoid mounted on it, that slides the starter gear into the ring gear. It was clean and dry inside, but there was a layer of grease on the thin rod that pushes the drive out and on the small spring aound it. So I wiped the grease of and sprayed it with silicone spray. Maybe the grease gets too thick in -15 temps and prevents the starter solinoid from disengauging for a few seconds after the key is release. Contacts looked good, as one would expect with 450 hours.
Problem now after everything is together, there is a single purple/red wire that comes out of the harness at the back of the alternator, I'm not sure where it goes.
And the tach only displays 0 rpm now, and the batt light is on, even though the volt meter shows 14.7 volts. (volts seem a little high) That wire must conect to the alt somewhere, but I can't get my head in there to see if there is another plug on the back of the alt. Need to find my mirror.
Does the tach signal come from the alternator? I'll have to go look more oncei get my son to bed
Ken

OP
OP
skidsteer.ca

skidsteer.ca

Well today we removed the quick attach from the loader arms and put a washer on each side of it to shim the side to side play out.
Then we removed the alternator, the belt was not aligned properly with the crank and water pump, so we slotted the mount holes and made adjustment there.
So while I was at it I pulled the starter. It is a Nippon Denso, the type with the solinoid mounted on it, that slides the starter gear into the ring gear. It was clean and dry inside, but there was a layer of grease on the thin rod that pushes the drive out and on the small spring aound it. So I wiped the grease of and sprayed it with silicone spray. Maybe the grease gets too thick in -15 temps and prevents the starter solinoid from disengauging for a few seconds after the key is release. Contacts looked good, as one would expect with 450 hours.
Problem now after everything is together, there is a single purple/red wire that comes out of the harness at the back of the alternator, I'm not sure where it goes.
And the tach only displays 0 rpm now, and the batt light is on, even though the volt meter shows 14.7 volts. (volts seem a little high) That wire must conect to the alt somewhere, but I can't get my head in there to see if there is another plug on the back of the alt. Need to find my mirror.
Does the tach signal come from the alternator? I'll have to go look more oncei get my son to bed
Ken
Found it, just under the main power output stud. Now if that pesky over crank problem is cured I'll be all :):)
Do you only run 0/40 oil in the winter if the machine sits outside?
That little steel line to oil the rockers and supply the pressure sender, must be to small for 10/30 to build pressure b4 the the shutdown system kick in, at -15 to -20
Hydraulics seem ok with 10/30, have not seen that light come on
Ken

Tazza

Staff member
Found it, just under the main power output stud. Now if that pesky over crank problem is cured I'll be all :):)
Do you only run 0/40 oil in the winter if the machine sits outside?
That little steel line to oil the rockers and supply the pressure sender, must be to small for 10/30 to build pressure b4 the the shutdown system kick in, at -15 to -20
Hydraulics seem ok with 10/30, have not seen that light come on
Ken
Glad you worked it out! just hope the problem is cured.

charger

Glad you worked it out! just hope the problem is cured.
my machine was sitting outside for a few days and it was pretty cold last night aand started no problem and the oil light was not on,thats with 10w30 engine oil,your sensor might be readingincorectly causing the light to be on??

charger

my machine was sitting outside for a few days and it was pretty cold last night aand started no problem and the oil light was not on,thats with 10w30 engine oil,your sensor might be readingincorectly causing the light to be on??
i usually run 0w40 but the machine was mostly inside this year so i fiigured i`d save a few bucks and stick with the 10w30,now my shop is full and i can`t get the machine in,time to build a bigger shop! yes the tach signal is taken from the altenator,hope taking that grease out fixes your starter problem!,makes sense that as it gets colder the grease gets harder to move causing the starter to stick.

NHDealer

i usually run 0w40 but the machine was mostly inside this year so i fiigured i`d save a few bucks and stick with the 10w30,now my shop is full and i can`t get the machine in,time to build a bigger shop! yes the tach signal is taken from the altenator,hope taking that grease out fixes your starter problem!,makes sense that as it gets colder the grease gets harder to move causing the starter to stick.
I would replace the charge pressure switch. Its cheap and easy to do.